GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   oooooooooooooooooo baby fishies!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/62368-oooooooooooooooooo-baby-fishies.html)

*muffin* 28-05-2004 08:05 AM

oooooooooooooooooo baby fishies!!

ok I know this is silly, but we never had babies before!

when I cleaned the pond last week I piled all the underwater light rope in
one pile.
it lights up a good chink of water around it.

tonight I noticed babies swimming above it!
I counted 3 dozen. & they hang tight together.

I scooped some up to try to raise inside....... lol,, but that didn't last
long. the resident angel fish had them for a snack.
( I have a separate empty tank I could probably use, but for some reason I
cannot get the ammonia to disappear in it!! it keeps coming back up high!..
have lost a lot of sacrificial fish)

anyway the fish are 1/4 to 1/2 in length, I suppose they are all goldfish
( but some koi might be nice) would save me from buying feeders for the
"out" pond.(do they normally differ in size like that?)

jammer 29-05-2004 05:07 AM

oooooooooooooooooo baby fishies!!

That is how i was at first and now when i accidently let one slip down
the drain during a water change, i'm fine with that.

Now let's see if i can get over the aDORable little baby toads!

~ jan JJsPond.us 29-05-2004 06:03 AM

oooooooooooooooooo baby fishies!!

anyway the fish are 1/4 to 1/2 in length, I suppose they are all goldfish
( but some koi might be nice) would save me from buying feeders for the
"out" pond.(do they normally differ in size like that?)

Size difference, yes.

As far as the ammonia problem in the tank, one word, Amquell. ;o)
And don't put very many in the tank. ~ jan

*muffin* 29-05-2004 06:05 AM

oooooooooooooooooo baby fishies!!

As far as the ammonia problem in the tank, one word, Amquell. ;o)
And don't put very many in the tank. ~ jan

I have been using amquel.

it clears it up & then a few days later it is full of ammonia again.
everything else (parameters) are fine.

arrghhh.

~ jan JJsPond.us 29-05-2004 08:05 PM

oooooooooooooooooo baby fishies!!

Good, normal, keep putting the Amquel in as needed, and watch for your
nitrite spike next, and treat with low dose salt. Also do small partial
water changes, but only 1/week as your filter needs to be fed that high
detoxed ammonia to adjust. Hangth in there. :o) ~ jan