Old 31-05-2004, 11:09 PM
JGW

Default Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying"

Again, thanks for responding!

Today I found another fish dead. :-(

Again, I checked the water chemistry. pH 7.4, nitrite and ammonia
negative, hardness as before. I added a little more lime to the
filter and cleaned the pumps and checked to make sure the air pump and
waterfall are working okay.

I did find some aphids on a couple of the pond lily leaves. Removed
those I found.

I went to the website you recommended and did my best to do a
post-mortem physical exam. I also checked a could of websites that
tell you how to sex a fish. As far as I am able to judge (granted, I
am really new at this) the fish appears to be female. I saw no
bruising this time. The gills were not gloppy or gooey and the tissue
didn't look like raw hamburger or anything. I guess it's hard to
judge the color in a dead fish, but the color was a deep pink, about
the color of healthy gums in people. The consistency of the belly
felt normal, as far as I was able to judge. I couldn't express
anything from the anal port. The mouth looked okay--no redness, no
white strings. I was aware of a slime coat but it didn't feel
particularly mucousy or thick on my fingers after I let go of the
fish. The fins and tail looked okay, no evidence of trauma or
unusual coloration or texture. The eyes looked normal as far as I
could see. There were a few scales missing, but I don't know if that
happened after the fish died or not.

I don't know why my fish are dying. It's very scarey. Anybody have
any thoughts about any anything else I ought to be doing?

Thanks.

Joan

Internal spawning injuries and/or infected eggs would account for what you see.
spawning bruises most certainly would look purplish. Ingrid

Old 01-06-2004, 03:06 AM
RichToyBox

Default Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying"

Try adding some activated carbon. Something is telling me that it may be
some kind of poisoning. It may be low level, but carbon will remove the
poisons. There doesn't appear to be any other explanation that hits me,
based on the information you have posted.
--
RichToyBox

Old 01-06-2004, 03:07 AM
JGW

Thank you!

How much? How do I add it? Just dump it in the water? Put it in the
filter? I have dolomite lime in the filter. Will it mix okay with
that?

Where do I get it? Drug store? Is that the same as activated
charcoal?

Thanks so much.

Joan, worried about her fishies

Old 01-06-2004, 04:06 AM
RichToyBox

Filter charcoal, activated carbon, can be gotten at the fish store, or call
one of the water treatment companies. They use it to remove bad tastes from
the water. I put several pounds of it in the leg of panty hose and drape it
across the spill way of the water fall/ stream/ or filter return. At the
fish store the price will be a little high, but if that is what it is, it
will be worth it.
--
RichToyBox

Old 01-06-2004, 04:09 AM

call Jo Ann and discuss this with her. 1-251-649-4790. Ingrid

JGW wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 01-06-2004, 05:05 AM
JGW

Thank you!!! I will!

Joan

call Jo Ann and discuss this with her. 1-251-649-4790. Ingrid

Again, thanks for responding!

Today I found another fish dead. :-(

[snip]

Old 02-06-2004, 03:15 AM
JGW

Thank you!!!

I did call her. She is wonderful! Very knowledgable and helpful.

Joan

call Jo Ann and discuss this with her. 1-251-649-4790. Ingrid

Old 03-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Benign Vanilla

"JGW" wrote in message

Thank you!!!

I did call her. She is wonderful! Very knowledgable and helpful.

Well what did she say?

BV.

Old 05-06-2004, 08:04 AM
Karen Mullen

I remember sometime back someone had fish dying and he couldn't figure out why.
Turned out he'd sprayed wasp/hornet spray and the residue was running off into
his pond. If I remember correctly, 1 part per million would kill fish. Any
chance there's been any spray used around your pond that could have found it's
way into the water.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 11-06-2004, 08:05 PM
JGW

Thank you!!!

I did call her. She is wonderful! Very knowledgable and helpful.

Well what did she say?

BV.

She said that she thought it was either due to some toxin in the water
(she didn't know what) or spawning injuries. She said if it was
spawning injuries, the problem should solve itself soon. She
suggested I check the *nitrate* level.

She said it wouldn't hurt to add some activated carbon to the water
circulating system (preferably to the site where the water leaves the
pond to go to the filter).

She also suggested I check the CO2 level. She said if the CO2 level
was elevated, that would be a nonspecific sign that there was some
kind of toxin in the water.

And she suggested that I give the fish a five-day course of therapy
with medicated fish food (Romet I think).

So far I have added the carbon and confirmed that the nitrate level is
okay. I have checked the CO2 level, but my kit doesn't give me
information about the acceptable range, so I don't know how to
interpret it. So far the fish seem okay. Knock wood.

Thanks for asking.

Joan
___________________

Old 12-06-2004, 02:03 AM
JGW

That's a good question. We did have an exterminator spray around the
house shortly before the fish started dying. We watched him, and, as
far as we could tell, he sprayed nowhere near the pond and used a
pyrethrin-based spray. Still, I suppose it's not entirely impossible
that some of it got into the pond. We won't let him anywhere NEAR the
fish next time.

Joan

Old 14-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Nedra

You say the exterminator used a "pyrethrin-based spray" ....
Pyrethrin is deadly toxic to fish - also "as far as we could tell" ... these
sentences point to the culprit pyrethrin.
A tiny breeze could blow some
of the stuff into your pond.

Good Luck in getting it cleaned out of your pond surrounds.

Nedra