GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fish for a Veggie Filter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/62901-fish-veggie-filter.html)

Mickey 02-06-2004 02:08 AM

Fish for a Veggie Filter

What can I put in a 250 gallon Veggie filter that will not eat the roots off
of every plant. I have Water Hyacinth, Hornswort, Iris, Pickerel Rush,Lotus
and Lilies

Jerrispond 02-06-2004 02:10 AM

Fish for a Veggie Filter

What can I put in a 250 gallon Veggie filter that will not eat the roots off
of every plant. I have Water Hyacinth, Hornswort, Iris, Pickerel Rush,Lotus
and Lilies

If you fill it with fish it will not be nearly as effective as a filter....I
have one to 3 fish in my filter ponds ( depending on filter size) ONLY for
mosquito contol.....Unlike the fish in the fish ponds these are never fed.
When I clean the filter ponds every few years I take out any that have been
born in the ponds and start over again. I put ONLY goldfish in the filter
ponds. Jerri

Bonnie 02-06-2004 02:05 PM

Fish for a Veggie Filter

Mickey wrote:
What can I put in a 250 gallon Veggie filter that will not eat the roots off
of every plant. I have Water Hyacinth, Hornswort, Iris, Pickerel Rush,Lotus
and Lilies

I don't put any fish in my veggie filter, they manage to get
there all by themselves ;-) I've had rosies, goldfish and
an occasional koi end up in the filter.

--
Bonnie
NJ