Old 05-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Gareee©

Default We got tadpoles in our new pond! (considering Koi)

Yeah! We really didn't considered getting Koi or fish, because of all the
details you guys mention in keeping a pond balanced for life. Maybe we can
reconsider now? Our biggest issue, is that we are on a hill, and clay always
manages to run in slightly during heavy rain storms. Will this harm fish?

The water is clear, but there is a fine settling of clay/dirt on the pond
bottom, and sides.

The water depth is a tad over 3 ft at it's deepest, and maybe 2 feet at it's
shallowest, and about 12x12.

We live in Waynesville NC.. would that be deep enough for Koi wintering?

Gareee©
Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm
Custom Figures, Wallpapers and more!

Old 08-06-2004, 04:43 PM
RichToyBox

Koi like clay. I add some bentonite clay to my pond to give the koi a
facial. As for depth, most of the ponds in the Richmond VA area are less
than 2 feet deep and that is more than adequate. Just be sure to keep a
hole open in the surface during the winter, and not let the pond completely
freeze over for more than a day.
--
RichToyBox

Old 08-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Gareee©

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Koi like clay. I add some bentonite clay to my pond to give the koi a
facial. As for depth, most of the ponds in the Richmond VA area are less
than 2 feet deep and that is more than adequate. Just be sure to keep a
hole open in the surface during the winter, and not let the pond

completely
freeze over for more than a day.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check the local pet stores, to see if they
carry Koi. Not a whole lot of options up here.. I'm in the sticks.

Any idea if aquarium catfish would survive? We got a small on back in Nov,
and he's already 4 inches or more long. He's getting "jumpy" and we are a
little concerned about him managing to get out of the tank.

If I recall, catfish are very hardy, and will grow quite large given the
space.

Old 08-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Mike Patterson

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 12:02:09 -0400, "Gareee©"
wrote:

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Koi like clay. I add some bentonite clay to my pond to give the koi a
facial. As for depth, most of the ponds in the Richmond VA area are less
than 2 feet deep and that is more than adequate. Just be sure to keep a
hole open in the surface during the winter, and not let the pond

completely
freeze over for more than a day.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check the local pet stores, to see if they
carry Koi. Not a whole lot of options up here.. I'm in the sticks.

Any idea if aquarium catfish would survive? We got a small on back in Nov,
and he's already 4 inches or more long. He's getting "jumpy" and we are a
little concerned about him managing to get out of the tank.

If I recall, catfish are very hardy, and will grow quite large given the
space.

FWIW, Koi are more expensive than plain old goldfish. Unless you just
-love- Koi, I'd go with the goldfish for a while until you're pretty
sure you have the pond thing down pat. Less fiscal risk.

My brother-in-law started with goldfish, and now after 2 years the
survivors are so pretty that he's not in the least interested in Koi.

I'm following his lead, though my pond has only been in "operation"
since February or so.

Some catfish will get HUGE given the space and food. I once
aquarium-raised a "mud" cat scooped from a creek from a tiny fry to
about 30 inches long. He finally died after about 4 years from unknown
causes. He looked healthy until the morning we found him floating
upside down.

While alive, he'd eat -anything- living that was put into his tank.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."
Old 08-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
snip
FWIW, Koi are more expensive than plain old goldfish. Unless you just
-love- Koi, I'd go with the goldfish for a while until you're pretty
sure you have the pond thing down pat. Less fiscal risk.

snip

Unless you buy the $2.99 variety at PetSmart. Then again we got a comet from
a friend, he is the most awesome fish in the pond.

BV.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Gail Futoran

"Gareee©" wrote
[snip]
Any idea if aquarium catfish would survive? We got a small

on back in Nov,
and he's already 4 inches or more long. He's getting

"jumpy" and we are a
little concerned about him managing to get out of the

tank.

If I recall, catfish are very hardy, and will grow quite

large given the
space.

Are you talking about the Corydoras species?
Most of them get to be between 2 - 3" in
length, and are tropical fish, and typically take
a year or longer to reach mature length. Check
out this page for more information:
http://www.corydorasworld.com/
or try
http://www.petresources.net/fish/catfish/catfish.html

I really wonder if what you have is the common
"aquarium catfish" (cory cat), rather you might have
a plecostomus or some other bottom feeder that
gets large.

At any rate, I wouldn't put a tropical fish in a
pond. Even if they survived for a warm season,
they'd probably die when temps got colder.
People have put plecos in ponds, but move
them inside for the winter. I've heard they're
really hard to catch, though.

Probably best to correctly identify your fish
first, then decide what to do with it.

Gail

Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Gareee©

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message

Are you talking about the Corydoras species?
Most of them get to be between 2 - 3" in
length, and are tropical fish, and typically take
a year or longer to reach mature length. Check
out this page for more information:
http://www.corydorasworld.com/

He looks like the 3rd gallery picture, the orange/gold looking one.

The wife did put him in the pond yesterday, but as I mentioned, it's a
little green right now, and he loves to hide.