GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT what to do with ash (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/63638-ot-what-do-ash.html)

Mosfunland 09-06-2004 02:09 PM

OT what to do with ash

We were enjoying the fire pit out by my pond, and now I am wondering what to do
with the ash in the bottom of the pit. Can I toss it in the flower garden?
Should I put it into the compost area? Will it make a suitable mulch or will
it kill the flowers.......hmmmmm....sure was a nice fire...It was hardwood that
burned. Thanks!

Maureen

grubber 09-06-2004 02:09 PM

OT what to do with ash

"Mosfunland" wrote in message
We were enjoying the fire pit out by my pond, and now I am wondering what

to do
with the ash in the bottom of the pit. Can I toss it in the flower

garden?
Should I put it into the compost area? Will it make a suitable mulch or

will
it kill the flowers.......hmmmmm....sure was a nice fire...It was hardwood

that
burned. Thanks!

Maureen

Don't use it for mulch. If your soil is acid, it will bring the ph up and
add nutrients. Work into the soil or lightly top dress your garden/lawn and
water it in.