Old 09-06-2004, 04:12 PM
SNC

Default yucky green stringy moss

how do i get rid of this stuff in my pond....

Multi-tiered pond, large
one large rock mountain in middle, feeding two seperate ponds - higher up -
on east and west - these feed large "lake" pond in front - water flows into
large skimmer intake, thru filters, pumps back up to rock mountain water
fall..... system is homemade, no pond liner, all concrete and rock

water lillies are in pots.... and could i have "over fertilized' the lillies
with the chicken poop i used?

Lower pond has koi
upper east pond has oscars / severums
upper west pond has ciclids

will additional pumps / lines in ponds to increase water movement help with
the moss \ algae

thanx

SNC

Old 09-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Ka30P

yucky green stringy moss

This sounds like string algae.
Most of us remove it by hand.
Some rec.ponders have had luck with
a product called 'string algae buster'

Algae, all forms of it, feed on sun, new water, fish waste, fertilizer,
fertilized run off, rotting plants, blown in dirt,
Increased waterflow can help break down the organic substances that can only
improve the health of your pond.

Good luck!
kathy :-)
Old 09-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Ka30P

Ridge wrote If it feeds on fish waste is it good then to have SOME to
decompose
the waste? I have ggod flow from two natural springs so the water is
always cold.

Well, that all depends ;-)
Some of us don't mind *some* string algae showing up in the spring as it keeps
suspended algae at bay, the kind that makes your water look like pea soup. The
larger, more desireable plants take a longer time to get going in the spring
and algae, in all its forms just jumps right in there.

All plants are good at converting fishy ammonia through the nitrogen cycle and
keeping a pond healthy for fish.
Some ponds are completely filtered by plants.
Others use a biological filter to do the job, especially ponds with big koi who
can be very hard on plants.
While some string algae can be of benefit in the spring and harmless overall,
some ponds get way to much of it and the stuff wraps around lily stems and
makes a nuisance of itself.
Many times a pond with excessive algae problems has too much of algae's
favorite foods:
sun, new water, fish waste, fertilized run off, rotting plants, blown in dirt.
I'll post the algae tips in a second post to help you pinpoint where your
problem may lay if the stuff gets to be overwhelming.

kathy :-)
Old 09-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Ka30P

Algae fighting tips
~ Nutrients for all forms of algae are sun, new water, fish waste, fertilized
run off, rotting plants, blown in dirt.
~ New ponds and spring ponds need time for plants to get established, algae is
quicker at getting going.
~ add plants, of any kind, in the pond. Especially underwater plants.
~ Shade is good - provided by lily pads, floating plants or artificial shade
for part of the day.
~ LOW fish stocking (20 gallons per goldfish, 100 per koi after starting with
1,000 gallons) and *not* overfeeding the fish. Too many fish and too much
feeding is probably responsible for most pea soup water, followed closely by
too much decaying plant matter, sludge and overall gunk in the water
~ adding a combination mechanical and biological filter to screen gunk and
convert fishy ammonia waste for fish health.
~ do not use algaecides, they only make lots of suddenly dead algae
and that will feed the next algae bloom.
~ do not worry about algae that grows on things (substrate algae) this is good
for a pond
~ gently remove string algae
~ build a veggie filter, to run water through plants
- as easy as floating water hyacinth in your filter or
Ingrid's post on plant filters:
The essence of a plant filter is a water proof container with the water from
the pond
being pumped in one end flowing thru the roots of various plants and flowing
back
into the pond at the other end.
It needs to be long enough that solids settle to the bottom OR have filter
material
that will slow or hold the solids (and get rinsed out periodically).
It needs plants of different kinds to maximize removal of all wastes.
it needs sufficient amount of plants to remove in one day all the wastes
produced by
the fish load in one day. It needs plants with extensive roots and/or plants
that get big so they used up more
nutrients. It needs to be only 8-12" deep so it doesnt go anaerobic.
or go he
http://www.iheartmypond.com/Design/D...rs/default.asp
~ clean up dead plant matter and screen for falling leaves
in the fall. Clean out pond once a year.
~ water movement, occasional water changes of 10%
~ add a sludge consumer, concentrated bacteria.
many rec.ponders use http://www.united-tech.com/m-aq4u-toc.html
~ Check your pH, too high, over 8.8, or too low, under 6.4, and most higher
plant forms can't take up the nutrients.
~ building ponds with bottom drains and skimmers.
~ UV lights work on suspended algae (green water) - does cost some $$.
~ patience and time ;-)

kathy :-)

Old 09-06-2004, 04:16 PM
jbjrfan

I was told last month on here that koi clay is the cure for string algae and
I ordered it and it came yesterday and after one treatment and one day looks
like 40 percent of it is gone already im thinking they must be right as I
haven't done anything else just wanted to say thanks for the BEST TIP EVER
for me to whoever it was, and to the people that was giving them a hard time
pppffffffttt you don't know do do :-) lmbo

Old 12-06-2004, 01:02 PM
*muffin*

your welcome.

: )

glad I could help.

got this tip off the KOI yahoo group.

yucky green stringy moss SNC Ponds 1 09-06-2004 04:09 PM
yucky green stringy moss SNC Ponds 1 09-06-2004 03:04 PM
yucky green stringy moss SNC Ponds 1 08-06-2004 05:53 PM
How do I get rid of stringy green moss in my Koi pond? RoundRide Ponds 2 10-03-2003 06:08 PM
Green stringy algae and what to do about it John Worfin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 16 21-02-2003 12:21 AM