GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Observing Western Chorus Frogs in Colorado? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/64571-observing-western-chorus-frogs-colorado.html)

Jean-Pierre Abello 15-06-2004 01:05 AM

Observing Western Chorus Frogs in Colorado?

I read that the western chorus frog lives in most of Colorado. I
would like to observe one, but so far I have had no luck. Would
anyone know of any specific lakes or ponds in Colorado where one such
frog has been spotted lately? Thanks

Ka30P 15-06-2004 04:05 AM

Observing Western Chorus Frogs in Colorado?

Chorus frogs are best observed at mating time. They are darned hard to find
other times of the year.
I would expect that frogs in the lowland areas will be mating before frogs in
higher elevations.
Try a google search. There are sound files of their calls in a lot of sites so
you know what to listen for. And check if Colorado has a native amphibian page,
our state posts maps of locations of all species of frogs. And someone
published a book of amphibians of WA and OR so you might search and see if
there is a like book available for Colorado.

kathy :-)

Lee B. 16-06-2004 10:15 PM

Observing Western Chorus Frogs in Colorado?

Go to this site:
http://www.nwf.org/frogwatchUSA/

Scroll down the page to the map, click on your state. A column found on the
right will give you the names of the frogs found in that area, click on that
for a "bio" and its call. Interesting site . . .

Lee

om...