Old 18-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Ka30P

Default bullfrogs and toads

My computer crashed while researching this so
I'll start a thread here.

But I don't think bullfrogs will consume toads. I think they
will try and eat them and will probably spit them out.

I found this reference
Toads and frogs defend themselves in several way. Most of their enemies are

predators such as fish, turtles, snakes, birds and carnivorous mammals-shrews,
mink, skunks and raccoons. Our larger species of frogs will also eat other
frogs. Toads cannot jump as fast as frogs to escape a predator and defend
themselves by producing toxic or unpleasant-tasting skin secretions which are
released when the animal is seized. Due to their bad flavor, toads are not a
popular food among predators.

If anyone has seen a bullfrog eat a toad let us know.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 18-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Heather

Nope - no bullfrog experience, but we did get pictures of a garter snake
eating a large toad. Amazing how they can get something that large in their
mouth.

Heather
SW Ontario (Zone 5)

Old 18-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Bonnie

If anyone has seen a bullfrog eat a toad let us know.

kathy :-)
algae primer

The first visitors I had to my pond were toads. Toadlets
all over the place. They never returned - the next year
the frogs had taken over. The frogs rule all water in my
yard and some of the land too! I love to sit out my the
pond around 3 in the morning watching the fireflies and
listening to the frog sounds. It almost puts me to sleep!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 18-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Gareee©

"Heather" wrote in message
....... Amazing how they can get something that large in their
mouth.

Sigh... why must people bait me so?

Savio Filter and Pump Box Full of Bullfrogs [email protected] Ponds 0 27-01-2015 01:56 AM
My Pond and Bullfrogs!! Bonita Ponds 7 18-05-2006 09:13 AM
Toads...and the #1 reason i like toads is..... jammer Ponds 2 29-04-2004 01:05 AM
Toads, toads, and more toads.... Szpond Ponds 18 20-06-2003 04:35 PM
bullfrogs & frogs & toads etc *muffin* Ponds 10 11-06-2003 02:32 AM