GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Another Lily question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/67210-another-lily-question.html)

Heather 25-06-2004 07:06 PM

Another Lily question

My lilies have been putting out flower buds, but when the bud stem reaches
about 8" or so the bud droops down and then seems to stop growing. They are
in good clay soil and properly fertilized. The weather has been cold in SW
Ontario and we have had many gray days and rain. Water tests okay. Temp
65F.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
Heather

Ka30P 25-06-2004 07:08 PM

Another Lily question

Heather wrote Temp
65F.

I'm thinking this may be the reason.
It is too cold yet up north.
And I hate to tell you this but I've got
my very first tropical lily flowering today :-)))
Of course I've had to put up with 100 degree
days in June, not usual here.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Heather 25-06-2004 08:20 PM

Another Lily question

Thanks Kathy

One thing about having a pond...... I want to move further south. I am
envious of the longer growing season and nice warmth. Today is not even 70F
here. Very unusual for the end of June. I'm even considering buying a
solar panel used to heat swimming pools and hook it up to the pond. Wonder
if anyone has done this.

Heather

RichToyBox 26-06-2004 01:08 AM

Another Lily question

Someone markets a solar heater for koi ponds, probably stolen from the swim
pool market. Hook a small submersible pump with some tubing to it and turn
it on during the day and it is supposed to heat the pond. I have seen one
at my local pond dealers, but she has not used it in a couple of years and I
didn't think it would work for heating my ponds.
--
RichToyBox
. ..

Gale Pearce 26-06-2004 03:03 AM

Another Lily question

Hi Heather - I am also in SW Ont - 35 mi east of Windsor - my lilies are in
18" of water - about 8" over the growing tips - I am getting 1 or 2 blooms
at a time right now - not sure what my water temp is in pond - I have never
had the buds droop down like you describe in 10 yrs I have had a pond- it is
cool here too, although we had 100F temps for a few days here a few weeks
back
Gale :~)
. ..

Heather 26-06-2004 07:04 PM

Another Lily question

Thanks Gale - my other suspicion is that their is just not enough sun. I
would have thought that they wouldn't create buds if they didn't have enough
sun. Not put up the bud then droop. If I suggest to DH digging another
pond in a sunnier spot I think there would be a funeral - mine.

Heather

"Gale Pearce" wrote in message
Hi Heather - I am also in SW Ont - 35 mi east of Windsor - my lilies are

in
18" of water - about 8" over the growing tips - I am getting 1 or 2 blooms
at a time right now - not sure what my water temp is in pond - I have

never
had the buds droop down like you describe in 10 yrs I have had a pond- it

is
cool here too, although we had 100F temps for a few days here a few weeks
back
Gale :~)
. ..