Old 29-06-2004, 06:04 AM
Robert Gorsch

Default Parrot's feather not flourishing in wine barrel fish pond

I have been maintaining a wine barrel fish pond for about a year now.
In about April I took out some parrot's feather that wasn't doing so
well and replaced it with a new hunk of the stuff. About a month
later I also put in a couple of water hyacinths. Goldfish have been
living in this pond for about a year, on average about two at any
given time. One individual goldfish has flourished for twelve months.
(Others have been picked off by birds and cats and been replaced.) So
I think it's a generally healthy environment.

My parrot's feather isn't doing very well. There are lots of tendrils
under water and just a handful of tiny shoots above the water's
surface. At the same time, since I have added these plants, and
increased the shading, the algae has come under control. For a while
it seemed the algae were taking over. That's positive, I think.

This is a hot, dry climate during the summer: from the 80s to 100+
during the summer. Inland Northern California. The pond is in the
shade most of the day, though it has a few hours of full or partial
illumination.

I thought parrot's feather was an uncontrollable weed. Any ideas on
why I can't get it to flourish?

Thanks.
Old 29-06-2004, 06:04 AM
Ka30P

rgorsh wrote The pond is in the
shade most of the day, though it has a few hours of full or partial
illumination.

I think you've pegged it here ~
Probably needs more sun.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 29-06-2004, 07:07 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Maybe Parrot's feather thrives in flowing water?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 29-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Karen Mullen" wrote in message
snip
my parrot feather is in full sun and looks much like she described it.

It's
got long tendrils underwater and just tips above. It's growing, but not
flourishing like it did last year or down in Houston. Can't figure out

what's
different this year.

Thought... we've had some very cool nights (45) and not real sunny warm

days,
that may be what's stopping it from growing.

snip

Last year the Hurley's have me some PF, and I tucked it under a rock in the
main pond. It grew, but not very dense. This year, I got my christmas
package from them, and did not have time to plant so I just tossed the PF
into the VF. It is going crazy, and has grown down the stream already. I am
beginning to think this is a moving water plant.

BV.

Old 29-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Ka30P

Karen wrote we've had some very cool nights (45) and not real sunny warm
days,
that may be what's stopping it from growing.

My parrot's feather did not start growing until it warmed up.
I'd give the plant the full growing season to see what it does.

I've grown parrot's feather in the frog bog,
still water and full sun. It took over.
It is such a prolific grower that it is now banned in my state.
I ripped all mine out, not getting it all of course, and it is starting its
second season in the compost pile!

Be careful what you wish for.....

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 29-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Just Me \Koi\

It is a moving water plant!

--
_______________________________________

Old 01-07-2004, 09:07 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Robert Gorsch" wrote in message
om...

I thought parrot's feather was an uncontrollable weed. Any ideas on
why I can't get it to flourish?

==========================
I live in mid TN and our summers are long, hot and humid. My parrots
feather only thrives in full sun. It died out in the shadier pools behind
the house. It also likes some fertilizer I've noticed. I add potassium
(potash) and magnesium to my ponds and boy do they perk up! 1 heaping Tbsp
of each, per 1000 gallons, about once a month.
--
Carol....
"Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic."

Old 01-07-2004, 10:02 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
It is a moving water plant!

=========================
That I can believe,... as the clump doing the best is in my settling tank
with a constant slow flow of water. It's falling out over the edge of the
tub already.

Old 01-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Happy'Cam'per

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message news:J5ydnRsUV_T8JX7dRVn-

"Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic."

ROFLMAO...
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**