Old 05-07-2004, 06:03 PM
MIstatee

Default Koi and Catfish

I have a pond full of koi (12) and one black catfish. Will this black
catfish eat the Koi babies? Is this black catfish harmful to the koi?
Old 05-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Lostin1999

"MIstatee" wrote in message
m...
I have a pond full of koi (12) and one black catfish. Will this black
catfish eat the Koi babies? Is this black catfish harmful to the koi?

in general catfish are bottom feeders and spawn are surface dwellers.. so
the catfish is unlikely to do any harm.. however if you are not feeding it
with proper sinking cat fish food it might get hungry enough to eat
anything...

what sort of catfish is it? some are purely vegetation eaters (algae
cleaners)..

cannot really answer your questions without knowing the type of fish though!

HTH

Lost

Old 05-07-2004, 10:03 PM
George

"MIstatee" wrote in message
m...
I have a pond full of koi (12) and one black catfish. Will this black
catfish eat the Koi babies? Is this black catfish harmful to the koi?

I have an albino channel cat (about 2 feet long). I have 8 goldfish and 4 koi.
I also have about 8 baby goldfish (about 1 1/2 inches long). The catfish hasn't
eaten any of them. But then, I keep him well fed, and the babies have lots of
hiding places ( I have lots of rocks in the pond set up as part of the
waterfall, and for shelter)

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/o/rockcat/pond/pond.htm

That is not to say that yours won't eat the babies. Remember, in the wild they
are top predators. But if you keep it well fed, and provide shelter for the
fry/babies, at least some of them will survive. Remember, when they are very
small, even the adult koi will eat them.

Old 17-07-2004, 12:08 AM
Pinkpggy

We have a small Channel catfish, and so far he doesn't bother the koi, in fact
when the koi eat,he comes right up with them, doesn't want to miss out.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html
Old 17-07-2004, 12:08 AM
George

"Pinkpggy" wrote in message
We have a small Channel catfish, and so far he doesn't bother the koi, in fact
when the koi eat,he comes right up with them, doesn't want to miss out.
Jan

That will change if he gets as big as mine. Yours is still a baby. Mine weighs
about 6 lbs. He doesn't try to eat them, since he grew up with them, but when
it is dinner time he let's them know who is first in line. He will chase them
all away from the feeding area. I usually feed the catfish at one end, while
feeding the rest at the other. And they get different foods.

Here is my catfish:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/o/rockcat/pond/pond.htm

Of course, these pics were taken a few months ago. I have since made major
changes to the waterfall area.

Old 17-07-2004, 02:04 AM
Pinkpggy

Here is my catfish:

Wow!! thats quite a catfish. I know when our catfish comes too close to the
koi while eating, they kind of jump out of the way. I have watched to see if
he is biting them, and haven't seen him do that. My hubby thought maybe he is
stinging them with his whiskers.
Old 17-07-2004, 08:02 AM
George

"Pinkpggy" wrote in message
Here is my catfish:

Wow!! thats quite a catfish. I know when our catfish comes too close to the
koi while eating, they kind of jump out of the way. I have watched to see if
he is biting them, and haven't seen him do that. My hubby thought maybe he is
stinging them with his whiskers.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html

No, the stinging part really is a myth. They have no venom. I know that the
scientific name for channel catfish means "stinging fish", but it comes from the
fact that if you handle one with your bare hands, you risk getting impaled on
it's rigid barbels, or the fins, which are quite strong and sharp. If you look
closely at the lateral fins, you will note that the front edge of them are
barbed. Those barbs are really the ones to watch out for when handling these
fish, as the best place to handle them (if you dare to do so) is behind the
lateral fins, yet they tend to thrash back and forth to get loose, and you can
easily get impaled on those barbs. This is why I don't handle them with my
hands. I do a lot of fishing, and I know from experience that if one of those
barbs gets you, it is very painful. And if you don't disinfect the wound right
away, it can become infected. This is likely why they were named "stinging
fish".

As for him going after your fish, if you raise them up together from fingerlings
or even juveniles, or with a fairly large school, and the other fish aren't
really little, he will likely not intentionally try to eat them. I bought a
dozen feeder goldfish for him to eat when I first bought him, and he only ate
four. The rest are unfortunately now part of the community. When he gets
older, and a lot larger - well, I guess we shall see.

These large catfish are extemely territorial, and will chase others away,
especially when eating, and snip at them, but will usually not eat the other
fish in the pond, or do great damage if he is kept well fed. If not, he will
eat anything he can get in his mouth. And you did notice the size of the mouth
relative to the body, didn't you? I feed him twice a day (at sunrise, and at
sunset). In the spring and fall, I try to feed him late at night instead of in
the morning, because that is when they normally feed in the wild. In the
summer, he'll eat whenever you present him with food.

During the winter, like all pond fish, he mostly stops eating when it gets below
a certain temperature. For this fish, this last winter, that temperature was
around 50 F. I hope this helps you with yours. I've always wanted to raise one
of these beauties, but never had the space before now to do one justice. I
really enjoy this one. He's probably the most magnificant fish I've ever
raised, and I've been raising fish for about 35 years.

FYI. If you are interested in seeing a really large catfish, you won't find a
bigger one that the European Wel:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...urus/338_2.php

http://www.aquariacentral.com/specie...view_records=1

Old 17-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Pinkpggy

Thanks George for all the information.
Old 17-07-2004, 05:03 PM
George

"Pinkpggy" wrote in message
Thanks George for all the information.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html

Glad to help.

Old 18-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Go Fig

In article , Pinkpggy
wrote:

We have a small Channel catfish, and so far he doesn't bother the koi, in fact
when the koi eat,he comes right up with them, doesn't want to miss out.
Jan

I'd get him out next spring, they are Koi killers later in life. I
think they are illegal here in California, as they become HUGE and
people put them in lakes and streams and the begin to hunt indigenous
species with great success.

jay
Fri Jul 16, 2004

Old 21-07-2004, 06:06 AM
Pinkpggy

Old 21-07-2004, 07:04 AM
Go Fig

In article , Pinkpggy
wrote:

We have a small Channel catfish, and so far he doesn't bother the koi, in fact
when the koi eat,he comes right up with them, doesn't want to miss out.
Jan

I'd get him out next spring, they are Koi killers later in life. I
think they are illegal here in California, as they become HUGE and
people put them in lakes and streams and the begin to hunt indigenous
species with great success.

jay
Fri Jul 16, 2004

"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html

catfish food for koi :-) ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 49 30-08-2017 01:59 PM
koi and catfish Priscilla McCullough Ponds 4 23-03-2005 05:41 PM
Catfish feed for Koi Roy Ponds 6 30-09-2004 02:07 PM
catfish food for koi :-) Andrew Burgess Ponds 2 18-06-2003 07:08 PM
Koi Food Survey - Catfish food for $10.99 per 50 lb bag. ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 2 13-06-2003 02:32 PM