GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help: Newbie plumbing brain cramp. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/78560-help-newbie-plumbing-brain-cramp.html)

Rob 08-07-2004 08:02 AM

Help: Newbie plumbing brain cramp.

Trying to get my mind around all this; maybe y'all could help. I'm
setting up a 400 gallon pond with a waterfall; total head 5'. There is
no room for a filter at the top of the falls. I'm considering building
my own mechanical/biofilter; please advise: Intake at the low point of
the 30" deep pond will be with a covered, submerged 5 gallon bucket
filled with lightweight filter media. Next in line a PondMaster Mag
Drive pump (PM-7, UPC 02527), that pulls the water through the 5
gallon bucket, then pumps it up to the falls. Falls pass through 2
small "puddles" with plants for veggie filtering. Think this'll work?
Is it feasible to 'pull' the water as opposed to pushing it? Thanks in
advance. PS I could imagine 2 of the filtering 5 gallon buckets inline
if 1 isn't enough...

~ jan JJsPond.us 10-07-2004 04:02 AM

Help: Newbie plumbing brain cramp.

No problem with pulling, as long as it gets the water it needs and the
pre-filter doesn't plug to the point of starving the pump.

As far as the veggie filters in the little ponds, sure it will work.
Balance is key, you may not be able to have as many fish as the same person
with an out-of-the-pond filter, but it is all trial and error based on
water quality. ~ jan