Old 08-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Heather

Default Pond Temp and Duckweed, Azola

My pond temps are still very cool. One pond has 3/4 coverage of duckweed
and the other about 1/4 coverage of azola. Should I remove most of this so
the sun can warm the water better?

Thanks,
Heather

Old 08-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Heather" wrote in message
My pond temps are still very cool. One pond has 3/4 coverage of duckweed
and the other about 1/4 coverage of azola. Should I remove most of this

so
the sun can warm the water better?

I am envious.
I'd love to have both.

BV.

Old 09-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Heather

?? Both ponds or both duckweed and azola?

I love the look of it so have never installed a skimmer, however in the fall
a skimmer would be nice!

Heather

Old 09-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Phisherman

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:06:08 -0400, "Heather"
wrote:

My pond temps are still very cool. One pond has 3/4 coverage of duckweed
and the other about 1/4 coverage of azola. Should I remove most of this so
the sun can warm the water better?

Thanks,
Heather

I clear off as much azola as I possibly can with a skimmer. It is
very invasive in my pond. Unfortunately, it grows back covering the
entire pond in 2 weeks. The removed azola, anacharis, and parrot
feather is placed into the compost bin. Goldfish enjoy cool water and
my pond is anywhere from 40 to 70 degrees. What temperature are you
calling "cool?" Be careful Heather, warmer water and sun may cause
algae bloom.

Old 09-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Heather" wrote in message
?? Both ponds or both duckweed and azola?

snip

The plants...my duckweed didn't make it this year, and I have never been
able to find azolla locally.

BV.

Old 09-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Heather

Hi:

Temp is around 65. The problem is my water lily won't bloom. I hoped if I
could get the temp up a bit it might trigger some flowers.

The duckweed is less of a problem. I just skim it off the frog pond and
feed it to the GF in the fish pond.

Heather

Old 09-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Phisherman

For a pond, 65 is ideal. If you can get a little more sunlight to the
pond (remove tree branches, etc) your lilies will bloom. I have
three lilies (planted 4 years ago) that have grown out of their pots
and spreading over the pond. They bloom, although not intensely.
Plants will grow better with fish. If you have good lily growth and
at least a couple of hours of sun hitting the lily everyday, have a
little more patience.

Old 10-07-2004, 04:03 AM
Heather

My husband has already laid a number of huge trees to rest. To get more
light we would have to practically mow the forest. Sun hits about 9:30 and
leaves about 2:00.

We purchased a few new lilies this spring that are supposed to do well in
part shade. However here in Southern Ontario is has been either cloudy or
raining a lot of the time, and cool. We really don't feel like summer has
arrived yet.

Heather

news