GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   water quality problems (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/78657-water-quality-problems.html)

[email protected] 10-07-2004 05:03 AM

water quality problems

I recently had an Aquascape Pondless Waterfall installed and I love
it. However, I am overwhelmed with all of the "products" offered for
upkeep. My present problem is algea that is forming on the rocks along
with what appears to be a brown stain on rock surfaces. I do not yet
have fish or water plants. I also have a leak somewhere in the liner
and have to top off the water every 2-3 days--could "tap water" be a
contributor to the problem. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ka30P 10-07-2004 06:02 AM

water quality problems

The algae forming on the rocks is natural and usually considered to be healthy
for a pond. As long as it doesn't completely obscure the rocks I'd leave it
alone.
The addition of new water does help it along as fresh water is one of the food
stuffs for algae growth. And there are forms of algae that are brown, but it
might also be some kind of mineral stain. Probably depends on your water
source.

If you had it installed and if it leaks then you should call the installer. But
also take into consideration the current weather conditions. Air temperature
and wind can cause water to evaporate.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Stephen M. Henning 10-07-2004 03:06 PM

water quality problems

wrote:

I also have a leak somewhere in the liner
and have to top off the water every 2-3 days--could "tap water" be a
contributor to the problem.

I am not sure how yours is made, but patch kits are standard equipment
for rigid pond liners. They are seldom needed for soft liners.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman