GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When you say Iris... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/78706-when-you-say-iris.html)

SVTKate 11-07-2004 12:07 AM

When you say Iris...

Do you mean just plain ol ordinary Iris, like is in my garden? Or is there
something else that I don't know about?

:)

Kate

Ka30P 11-07-2004 12:09 AM

When you say Iris...

Hi Kate,

There are aquatic iris who will tolerate everything from their crowns being a
couple inches under water to having their feet soggy all the time.

kathy :-)
algae primer

SVTKate 11-07-2004 11:05 AM

When you say Iris...

Thank You Kathy!

Stephen M. Henning 11-07-2004 09:02 PM

When you say Iris...

"SVTKate" wrote:

Do you mean just plain ol ordinary Iris, like is in my garden? Or is there
something else that I don't know about?

No, only certain varieties of iris are suitable for water or bog use.
They a

True water iris which prefer water over their crowns:

yellow flag - Iris pseudzcorus
blue flag - Iris virginica
southern blue flag - Iris versicolor
rabbit-ear iris - Iris laevigata
(some Louisiana iris - Iris brevicaulis, I. fulva, I. nelsonii, etc.)

Bog iris that tolerate wet conditions:

Japanese iris - Iris ensata
Siberian iris - Iris sibirica
Rocky Mountain iris - Iris missouriensis

In addition there are many hybrids of the above.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

SVTKate 15-07-2004 09:05 AM