GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Soapy water (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/78844-re-soapy-water.html)

Phisherman 13-07-2004 01:02 PM

Soapy water

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:23:37 +0000 (UTC), "Mogweed"
wrote:

We seem to have developed soapy water. The waterfall has been running 24/7
since December and we have no fish in the pond yet. There aren't many plants
at the moment as a friend said he would give us lots but he is off work sick
at the moment, but there are 4 oxygenators under the surface as well as what
you can see.

We had a terrible problem with blanketweed and someone recommended a
barleystraw bale which worked a treat and has been in there for about two
months. As the soapy water only appeared about a week ago I don't think it
can be down to that. And I also think it's extremely unlikely that anyone
has put detergent in there, so just what can be causing this and how do I
get rid of it?

To see what I mean, have a look he
http://www.btinternet.com/~herbie/pond.htm

Cheers,

Herbie.

Run a few airstones in the water for a few days and see if it clears
up. The "soapy" look may be due to bacteria growth. Remove any
decaying matter that may be in the water. If there is truly soap in
the water (Fill a glass jar half full of your pond water and shake
it), then I'd change the water out. If you have a microscope, take a
look at a water sample.

Newbie Bill 14-07-2004 01:03 PM

Soapy water

I recently was given some plants and bulbs. I put them in several 5 gallon
buckets and treated with PP to kill any unwanted critters or bacteria. One
I missed and in just 2 days it had started to develope a film similar to
your picture and stunk. I would agree with Phiserman it is probably
bacterial growth developing from decomposing organic matter in your pond.
Clean it out and change the water.
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Mogweed 14-07-2004 01:19 PM

Soapy water

m...

"Mogweed" wrote in message
[...]

Cheers Newbie Bill. I'm going to do it next week.

Herbie.

Pinkpggy 16-07-2004 04:04 PM

Soapy water

I am betting its not soap. I bet your pond is going through a cycle of some
kind. Have leaves or something fell into your pond? Maybe the barley is
starting to work on the alage.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html