GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   fish in mass (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/79170-fish-mass.html)

[email protected] 15-07-2004 07:03 PM

fish in mass

Hi,
I am new to ponding and have a couple of fish and was wondering if
anyone in my area has too many fish or some fish they want to get rid
of. Im in Amesbury Ma
Thanks

Crashj 16-07-2004 05:03 AM

fish in mass

) wrote in message . com...
Hi,
I am new to ponding and have a couple of fish and was wondering if
anyone in my area has too many fish or some fish they want to get rid
of.

My plan, and I am a newbie ponder, too, is to get the biocycle going
and dump in some feeder goldfish to make sure everything is okay.
Feeders are $1/dozen around here. I will be able to determine the
allowable fish and plant load/balance without spending $mumble each
for koi and such.
I do not plan to add the more attractive [AKA expensive] fish until I
know what I am doing. This could take a while.
"Or longer"
--
Crashj

Ka30P 16-07-2004 05:03 AM

fish in mass

You might also use this time to see if any
predators put your feeders on the menu.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Dsybok 16-07-2004 08:02 AM

fish in mass

What does lake Attitash look like these days? Its been years since I have
been, and I hear the lake is in not so great shape. My grandparents had a
summer place on the lake for 30 years but sold it 10 years ago. Damn shame,
I loved that lake, spent half my life there.

Oh, and im in CA so sorry I cant help you with the extra fish!

Benign Vanilla 16-07-2004 01:02 PM

fish in mass

"Crashj" wrote in message
om...
) wrote in message

. com...
Hi,
I am new to ponding and have a couple of fish and was wondering if
anyone in my area has too many fish or some fish they want to get rid
of.

My plan, and I am a newbie ponder, too, is to get the biocycle going
and dump in some feeder goldfish to make sure everything is okay.
Feeders are $1/dozen around here. I will be able to determine the
allowable fish and plant load/balance without spending $mumble each
for koi and such.

snip

Be forewarned...once you add feeder fish...you will ALWAYS have feeder fish.
This is not necessarily bad, but it is nearly a fact.

BV.

Crashj 16-07-2004 02:07 PM

fish in mass

EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote in message ...
You might also use this time to see if any
predators put your feeders on the menu.

Exactly. I am only a few miles from the Susquehanna River, and see
herons and cranes overhead all the time.
"A mile wide and a yard deep"
--
Crashj

[email protected] 17-07-2004 12:08 AM

fish in mass

Well, Ive had fish in there since beggining of june. Have a few small
(3" or so) koi. Lost one to a heron very early on and have taken some
corrective action, havent seen any trouble since. Was just hoping
some of the peopel who seem to have too many fish might want to get
rid of some.

As far as Lake Attitash....Im a newbie to Amesbury so I cant speak for
what it was once like. But there seems to be alot of "updating" in
that area. A lot of the older, falling down summer cottages are being
transformed into homes and the areas is finally cleaning up. People I
talk to say its starting to get back to where it once was. Looks
pretty. I actually almost bought a house over there. :)

Rhino 17-07-2004 12:08 AM

fish in mass

wrote in message
. com...
Hi,
I am new to ponding and have a couple of fish and was wondering if
anyone in my area has too many fish or some fish they want to get rid
of. Im in Amesbury Ma
Thanks

I didn't even know that fish were catholic...
See My Pond

Follow the Pond Links

"Without the second ammendment, the others are just suggestions."