GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   To Duckweed or not to Duckweed (GoldFish 1 : Duckweed 0) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/79355-duckweed-not-duckweed-goldfish-1-duckweed-0-a.html)

Bill Stock 18-07-2004 02:02 AM

To Duckweed or not to Duckweed (GoldFish 1 : Duckweed 0)

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
Pond is a little bare this year due to the cooler weather. The Water
Hyacinth are surviving, but not flourishing. So I wanted to introduce some
other quick growing cover to help with the Algae and provide shade, as

well
as a nosh for the GF.

I've read good and bad about Duckweed. I've got a 500 gal pond with 9 GF,
will Duckweed take over or will the GF ravage it? Should I grow it in a

tub
and add as required? Do I need to coral it in one area to prevent
competition with the Lillies and WH?

Advice appreciated. I'm in southern Ontario BTW.

OK, I added the Duckweed this morning and by this afternoon it was half
gone. Although I only had about one cup left, after the Coons got done
playing in the Duckweed tub.