Old 19-07-2004, 05:13 PM
George

Default Alga Bars---Do they work?????

"GrannyGrump" wrote in message

I saw this.jus wondering if they work??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4314178 5
64&rd=1

Not for $25.00 it doesn't, IMHO

However, I have been reading about copper being used in ponds to help
with algae problems.

Be very careful using copper if you have invertebrates and frogs. They don't
tolerate it well. Personnally, I wouldn't use any chemical remedy like copper
for algae. You will always have some amount of algae, which is benefiticial for
the pond as they digest nutrients from the water. The best natural solution for
heavy algae infestation is lots of water plants and installation of a biological
filter.. Of course, barley straw seems to work for many, doesn't hurt frogs and
invertebrates, but can discolor the water.

Old 19-07-2004, 06:09 PM
Gareee©

"GrannyGrump" wrote in message

Of course, barley straw seems to work for many, doesn't hurt frogs and
invertebrates, but can discolor the water.

That's the first I heard of discoloration.. what color does it change the
water to?

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 19-07-2004, 06:10 PM
Ka30P

We (as in the rec.ponds collection of algae hints) don't recommend fancy
gadgets, except for UV lights. Since healthy, clear water can be had for
relatively money we see little advantage in gadgets of any sort. UV is the
exception to the rule - and you don't even have to go that far but it is a
tried and true remedy and for those ponders who like quick solutions and have
ready money it is a good solution.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 19-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"Gareee©" wrote:

Of course, barley straw seems to work for many, doesn't hurt frogs and
invertebrates, but can discolor the water.

That's the first I heard of discoloration.. what color does it change the
water to?

All of my books say that a pond in balance is like a fine brewed beer
and the same color. My pond which seems to be in perfect balance and has
a bail of barley straw floating on it is a pale tan or yellow color, so
I guess the books are right. I wouldn't say the barley straw discolors
the water, but permits the pond to achieve it's best balance which does
have a slight color.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 20-07-2004, 09:07 AM
Karen Mullen

I had green water, but everything checked out perfect and I had lots of plants
covering most of the surface, but still had green water. So I pulled the
filter apart and cleaned it and added a few layers of quilt batting from
Walmart at a $! something a bag and the next morning the pond was crystal clear
to the bottom of 5 ft.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 22-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Ka30P

Stephen wrote All of my books say that a pond in balance is like a fine
brewed beer
and the same color.

This should be called the BV School Of Ponding.
;-)

kathy :-)
algae primer

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 01:23 AM
Alga Bars---Do they work????? WilsonKKW Ponds 0 22-07-2004 08:39 PM
PE-TR-ALGA (is back) Bruno Granier \(Wanadoo\) Plant Science 0 07-05-2003 12:20 AM
alga (algues) géraldine Plant Science 2 26-04-2003 02:27 PM
Mysterious purple alga Bill Grange Plant Science 0 20-03-2003 12:44 AM