Old 21-07-2004, 06:08 AM
Mark and Kim Smith

Default 4000 gals, 6 goldfish, 6 mesquito fish...................

Some Water Lettuce, some Water Hyacinth, some Duckweed, 4 lilies, some
Mare's Tail, some Anacharis, some Myriophyllum. Little by little, work
continues and plants are added often and the water is green. Work
continues on the Flour Mill ( need to find some wood shake, unpopular in
So. Ca. ), and work continues on the pier / bait shack ( the fish love
hanging out under there for shade midday. ) Stones, bark and decor work
continue. It is shaping up nicer than I had pictured in my minds eye
and will be a great place when we want to hide from the world. The
kids are already enjoying feeding the fish daily, although I have to
keep reminding them that the flour mill isn't their playhouse!
http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond6.htm

Old 21-07-2004, 06:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

What K30 said times 3! Just when I think I've almost seen it all, some very
different how-to-do-it enters the picture. ) ~ jan

Old 22-07-2004, 02:10 AM
how

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
Thanks for the compliments everyone!! As far as the mosquito fish, I
don't think I could find them even if I tried. Maybe if I stuck a small
oscar in there?? Ah, maybe not. Again, Thanks!!

Hi,
One way to get rid of the mosquito fish would be to get an 'umbrella' net
and begin feeding the goldfish on top of this net, which is placed on the
bottom and left there. After a couple/few days while the fish are feeding
the net is removed rapidly. In a couple tries you have your goldfish which
would be kept in another tank while you add a gallon or two of chlorine to
the pond. This will send the Gambusia on to their final reward and then you
treat for the chlorine and put the goldfish back. It is not ever going to be
easier than it is now. I have tried oscars ( 3 adult albinos in 1400 gal)
but they did not keep up with the extremely prolific mosquito fish and will
eat food intended for the goldfish.

HTH -_-
no NEWS is good

Old 22-07-2004, 07:38 PM
Ka30P

woweee zoweee!!
Looking very nice!
what a great project.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 22-07-2004, 07:38 PM
how

Hi,
I've followed your construction since you started posting and have to concur
with K30 and Jan but so I'm not just a me too-er, I have a critique. If at
all possible lose the mosquito fish (Gambusia spp.). They will breed like
crazy and are not needed for mosquito control. It won't be easy to do now
but will be practically impossible later when you will wish you had.
Great job.
L8R -_- how
no NEWS is good

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
What K30 said times 3! Just when I think I've almost seen it all, some

very
different how-to-do-it enters the picture. ) ~ jan

On 17 Jul 2004 15:34:32 EDT, Mark and Kim Smith

wrote:

Some Water Lettuce,

snip

Old 22-07-2004, 07:38 PM
Pinkpggy

Wow!! Have you got a project and a half going.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html