GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   To Duckweed or not to Duckweed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/79986-duckweed-not-duckweed.html)

Bill Stock 22-07-2004 07:30 PM

To Duckweed or not to Duckweed

Pond is a little bare this year due to the cooler weather. The Water
Hyacinth are surviving, but not flourishing. So I wanted to introduce some
other quick growing cover to help with the Algae and provide shade, as well
as a nosh for the GF.

I've read good and bad about Duckweed. I've got a 500 gal pond with 9 GF,
will Duckweed take over or will the GF ravage it? Should I grow it in a tub
and add as required? Do I need to coral it in one area to prevent
competition with the Lillies and WH?

Advice appreciated. I'm in southern Ontario BTW.

Pinkpggy 22-07-2004 07:30 PM

To Duckweed or not to Duckweed

I don't know if goldfish eat the duckweed or not, but I know koi eat it. With
koi you can't keep it around long enough for it to take over.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html

Heather 22-07-2004 07:30 PM

To Duckweed or not to Duckweed

Hey Bill,

What part of SO are you in? I'm close to Woodstock, between London and
Kitchener. My WH is deep green, spreading well and happy. My Azola and
Duckweed are close to choking the frog pond. (No GF). I'm about ready to
start adding to the compost. Temp of the water is 65 to 70 and I only have
sun on the ponds for 4 - 6 hours a day.

If you live close I'll give you some of my floaters. Email me.

Heather
SW Ontario (Zone 5)
Pond Pictures at: http://community.webshots.com/user/heathersmyth

Bill Stock 22-07-2004 07:37 PM

To Duckweed or not to Duckweed

"rob" wrote in message
rs.com...
I have duck weed in the pond and settling pool. It is growing well with

the
cool weather and provides a great dietary supplement for the Koi and

painted
turtles. Koi are like goats .... nothing can possibly grow too much :)
They keep eating the roots off the WH.

Rob from Ottawa

I actually found some at the local nursery, which is about 300 yards from my
house. The LFS did not carry it, looked at me strange for asking for it. :)

Yeah, my GF demolished the WH when it was in the aquarium, but leave it
alone in the pond. I suspect there are tastier things in the pond.

Just Me \Koi\ 22-07-2004 07:37 PM

To Duckweed or not to Duckweed

I beg to differ! My ponds are over ran by duckweed! Impossible to see the
pond and the fish. Yes I have some big Koi, and some little ones. But the
duckweed won that war!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Just Me \Koi\ 22-07-2004 07:37 PM

To Duckweed or not to Duckweed

Anyone in Southern California in need of duck weed can have ALL they want
for free! Same for pennyworth, parrot's feather, oxygenating grasses, and
of course many other plants too many to name.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Karen Mullen" wrote in message
In article , "Bill Stock"
writes:

I've got a 500 gal pond with 9 GF,
will Duckweed take over or will the GF ravage it?

I can't keep duckweed in my pond the fish, mostly gf, eat every last bit

of it.
they also devour all the leaves off my clover plant too, so I had to move

it
to the filter :(

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

~ jan JJsPond.us 22-07-2004 07:37 PM

To Duckweed or not to Duckweed

JMK, are you sure you have duckweed and not azolla? Duck weed is bright
shiny green, Azolla is dark dull green looks soft, like a fern, and turns
red in fall. I know koi or goldfish don't care for azolla.... or perhaps
your's are just well fed? ~ jan

Karen Mullen 22-07-2004 07:37 PM

To Duckweed or not to Duckweed

In article , "Just Me \"Koi\""
writes:

Anyone in Southern California in need of duck weed can have ALL they want
for free! Same for pennyworth, parrot's feather, oxygenating grasses, and
of course many other plants too many to name.

When I lived in Houston, TX I had the same problem, the plants didn't die over
winter, just died back a bit. Here in Ohio it's another story, WH, WL, PF,
anacharis, duckweed all need to be replace each year.

Just Me \Koi\ 22-07-2004 07:39 PM

To Duckweed or not to Duckweed

They will get that chance the next 2 weeks. We are on vacation back east,
so I asked my neighbors to check my water level and call me if to gets low
or if the pumps stop working. My Brother lives around the corner, being a
porg I can count on him to mind the ponds if anything goes wrong!

Back to the topic, I don't want anyone feeding the Koi while I'm gone. So
they get to eat duckweed for 2 weeks.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
You can have Azollo too if you want it.

LOL! No thanks, been there done that, makes one's surface looks messy and
if one has a skimmer.... well you know where the azollo and anything that
floats is. ;o)

Conclusion, if you want the critters to eat the duckweed, cut back on the
chow. :o) ~ jan

~ jan JJsPond.us 22-07-2004 07:39 PM

To Duckweed or not to Duckweed

So rampant duckweed would be a good thing in your case.

But speaking of going out of town. DH said, now what would have happened if
we were gone or OOT and the power went out and K30's didn't in her
neighborhood? So now the computers are rigged up to call his cell phone and
notify him if the power goes out. Oooooh my! ;o) ~ jan