Old 22-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Pam Gibbs

Default Where to get potassium permanganate, and will it hurt frog eggs?

So where do I get this stuff to treat the platnts? Didn't see anything at
Lowes or Home Depot. The aquarium store maybe?

Got up this morning and found frog eggs all over everything in the kiddy
pool where I put the new plants to quarantine them and pick the snails off.
I saw two little brownish copper colored frogs about the size of the tree
frogs that live in the pecan trees over by the kiddy pool last night--LOUD
little suckers too. Should I just leave the plants alone for now, until
the eggs hatch? Should I go ahead and use the PP? IF I put the plants in
the pond with the eggs still on them will the three Rosy Red minnows eat the
eggs?

Thanks so very much for all the information and help!

Old 22-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Bill Stock

"Pam Gibbs" gpaktatnetdoordotcom wrote in message
So where do I get this stuff to treat the platnts? Didn't see anything

at
Lowes or Home Depot. The aquarium store maybe?

Got up this morning and found frog eggs all over everything in the kiddy
pool where I put the new plants to quarantine them and pick the snails

off.
I saw two little brownish copper colored frogs about the size of the tree
frogs that live in the pecan trees over by the kiddy pool last night--LOUD
little suckers too. Should I just leave the plants alone for now, until
the eggs hatch? Should I go ahead and use the PP? IF I put the plants in
the pond with the eggs still on them will the three Rosy Red minnows eat

the
eggs?

Thanks so very much for all the information and help!

I just bought some on eBay, although not this place as I'm in Canada.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Old 22-07-2004, 08:39 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 21:10:16 -0500, "Pam Gibbs" gpaktatnetdoordotcom wrote:

So where do I get this stuff to treat the platnts? Didn't see anything at
Lowes or Home Depot. The aquarium store maybe?

Pond store or plant nursery that carries pond plants. Supposedly you can
get it from Sears in the water softener supply area, but I've never gone
looking there.

Got up this morning and found frog eggs all over everything in the kiddy
pool where I put the new plants to quarantine them and pick the snails off.

Oh dear, well..... if you leave the plants in the fishless kiddy pond,
after awhile it is like quarantine for a new fish, you've cleaned them up
because they've been away from fish. If you PP now, you'll kill the frog
eggs.... now you could move just those plants with eggs to something else,
treat the other plants and detox the PP with H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) if
you throw in a bubbler it will detox it faster and clear the water by the
end of the day, depending on circulation. So that night the frogs can come
back.

As far as I know, I do believe the Rosie Reds will eat, if not the eggs,
the babies that eventually come out of them. ~ jan

Old 22-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Pam Gibbs

No, I was asking what to treat the plants with before putting them into the
pond. In the meantime I stuck them in a kiddy pool and the frogs found
them. I'm tryihg NOT to kill the frogs.

"someone" wrote in message

[...]

Surely you're not saying you want to kill off the frogs' eggs? Are you?
Be an organic gardener - don't use that PP!

Hell's bells, I hope not. I would give my eyeteeth to have those frogs
in my garden!

s.

Potassium Permanganate and Plants Brian S. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 21-10-2004 08:10 AM
Where to get potassium permanganate, and will it hurt frog eggs? Pam Gibbs Ponds 5 21-07-2004 08:04 AM
potassium permanganate *muffin* Ponds 3 16-05-2003 12:44 AM
The Ultimate Potassium Permanganate FAQ Jim Ponds 3 07-05-2003 07:44 PM
Potassium Permanganate question ande Ponds 16 11-04-2003 11:44 PM