Old 26-07-2004, 01:39 AM
RichToyBox

Default help needed please - just inherited a koi pond

The filter bacteria produce acid, which will cause the pH to fall. In
addition, the high quantities of rain water that you have had, is somewhat
acid to start with, so I would expect your pH to be low. To assure a stable
pH, you should test for KH carbonate hardness, and be sure that it is over
80 ppm, which will help the filter bacteria work better, as well. To raise
the KH, use common baking soda, a little at a time until the pH is stable
and doesn't change with any more additions. Then you can add as much as you
want without affecting the pH, or the fish.
--
RichToyBox
"Robin" wrote in message

"Robin" wrote in message

Thanks for the PH warning, what are the best ways to
increase and level the PH. Also we have alot of summer rain
here. 16 inches in June. How does this affect the water
and ph levels?

Robin
http://community.webshots.com/user/robinandtami

Old 26-07-2004, 03:15 AM
Robin

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
The filter bacteria produce acid, which will cause the pH

to fall. In
addition, the high quantities of rain water that you have

had, is somewhat
acid to start with, so I would expect your pH to be low.

To assure a stable
pH, you should test for KH carbonate hardness, and be sure

that it is over
80 ppm, which will help the filter bacteria work better,

as well. To raise
the KH, use common baking soda, a little at a time until

the pH is stable
and doesn't change with any more additions. Then you can

add as much as you
want without affecting the pH, or the fish.
--

Thanks for the advice, but could you spell it out for me a
little more. I'm not an idiot, just a newbie... LOL What

RichToyBox

Old 27-07-2004, 02:02 AM
RichToyBox

The KH test kit measures the carbonate hardness and you should find it in
the fish stores, etc. near the pH test kits. It is, in my opinion, a more
important test than the pH. If the KH is where it belongs, the pH will be
rock solid. It is a simple drop test, where you add one drop of test
solution at a time, shake it, and then another and shake. At the value of
the number of drops, the color changes rather drastically, and you stop
adding drops and go to the chart to see what the value is. Some measure
directly in degrees of hardness which is 17 ppm, so 5 drops would equal 5
degrees or 85 ppm.
--
RichToyBox