Old 27-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Dave

Default Rubbermaid Pond - Pumping Questions

Hi all

I'm creating a small pond in my yard and am ready to select/order pumps.

My pond:

-300Gal Rubbermaid pond
-100Gal Rubbermaid skippy filter.
USDA zone 5

Future plans:

-add second and possibly third 300Gal pond. Possibly larger in-ground
addition instead.

This pond is a "test" pond for us to get a feel for ponding before we build
a new house (maybe in 2 years). Plan is to heavily plant the filter and put
some plants in main pond. Light load of goldfish for now. Probably about
10 carefully selected 1.5" feeder fish from Petsmart for this year.
Possibly Koi next year.

This is a completely new setup. I have the 300Gal tank level and filled.
Plan to go pick a few fish tomorrow. I have an aquarium airstone I can use
until I have pumps (1 week?). I am a firm believer in redundancy (I've been
a computer guy for a long time so I'll put two pumps in to push water to
the skippy filter. I have read vastly varying reports of the amount of
water flow necessary but I'm leaning somewhat toward pumps with around
400-500 PH capacity (each). I'm also willing to pay more money for longer
life and particularly for energy efficiency.

The Laguna PT-412 pump is 21Watts and 500GPH max. Approx $50.
The Cyprio Titan CT550 is 25W and 550GPH max. Approx $75.

Just from the specs I'm leaning toward the Laguna PT-412. I'd appreciate
any thoughts on these pumps and others in the same general specs. I don't
know if these are oil-free or have any of the other desireable features.
Help?

------

I'd also like to have a third pump to run on days we are in the yard. I'd
like to have a geyser (like yellowstone) and a sort of natural setting. I
understand I might need to add a third, plant-free, pond to have the geyser.
Ideally It would emerge from a few inches above water level and project
somewhere between 6 and 15 feet tall (or so). Any ideas on what volume of
water this will take? Suggestions on pumps? I'm open to any thoughts.

Thanks
Dave

Old 27-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Dave

I forgot to mention that the vertical lift to the filter will be less than
one foot, with a little waterfall back into the main pond. Horizontal
distance will be 2 feet. Total head approx 1 foot.

Old 27-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Crashj

"Dave" wrote in message news:gAgNc.193650$Oq2.45073@attbi_s52...

I'd like to have a geyser (like yellowstone) and a sort of natural setting.

project somewhere between 6 and 15 feet tall (or so).

You will need a pump with almost 20 foot head pressure at a smallish
flow. Pond pumps usually go the other way, low pressure, high flow.
Sounds more like Geneva Switzerland than Yellowstone!
--
Crashj
Old 27-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Crashj

"Dave" wrote in message news:XEgNc.193688$Oq2.50106@attbi_s52...
I forgot to mention that the vertical lift to the filter will be less than
one foot, with a little waterfall back into the main pond. Horizontal
distance will be 2 feet. Total head approx 1 foot.

Total head for the plume is what matters, isn't it?
--
Crashj
Old 27-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Crashj

"Dave" wrote in message news:XEgNc.193688$Oq2.50106@attbi_s52...
I forgot to mention that the vertical lift to the filter will be less than
one foot, with a little waterfall back into the main pond. Horizontal
distance will be 2 feet. Total head approx 1 foot.

Total head for the plume is what matters, isn't it?
--
Crashj

pumping antifreeze with a pond pump [email protected] Ponds 8 20-09-2005 01:02 PM
pumping wet vac nortyler Ponds 4 16-05-2005 01:12 PM
It Keeps on Ticking (or should I say pumping) Ted Ponds 0 09-09-2003 02:18 AM
It Keeps on Ticking (or should I say pumping) Ted Ponds 0 09-09-2003 02:17 AM
questions, questions, questions... GaneaRowenna Ponds 5 03-08-2003 01:04 AM