Old 27-07-2004, 01:25 AM
Ka30P

Default Question for Kathy ref Watercress

Hi Jay,

I've had watercress in two spots.
Right now it is at the bottom of my waterfall and has a foothold there. It has
grown and 'fallen' into the pond itself. It will grow roots wherever it touches
the water.
When I orginally 'planted' it I laid the stems down and stuck a rock on top of
it. The waterfall is constructed out of this rather rough slabs of rocks and
the roots fan across it and hang on. It is really easy to weed if I decide it
is getting too much. Also good to pull out and toss to koi as they love to eat
it in the early spring.

I've had it in the top of my upflow stock tank which is the pool at the back of
the waterfall.

One time I used florescent light grid, spray painted it black and then stuck
each stem or a couple stems each (depending on the width of each individual
stem) and floated the whole thing on the top of the water. It grew wonderfully
until one of the labradors walked across it and broke it all to pieces.

Another time I hung rigid mesh waterplant baskets over the sides of the filter
with coat hanger wire and put the watercress bunches in there. It would have
done great except for some hungry mice (I think) that ate it down to the
waterline every time I put in a new bunch!

I've even tossed it in the pond in early spring for the fish to eat. Upside
down the tops will grow roots and the root area will sprout leaves.

hope all this gives you a solution that will work!

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 27-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Jason Garner

Hi Kathy,

You mentioned in an earlier post that you put Watercress in your waterfall
to act as a bio-filter -I have two places in mine where I think watercress
would be able to grow, could you tell me what you used to give the cress a
foothold so it didn't get washed away please, also does the cress have to be
able to stick its heads out of the water as the places I'm thinking of are
like tiny natural pools (they are deep so the cress would be totally
submerged).

Many thanks,
Jay

Old 27-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Jason Garner

Thanks Kathy,
Jay

"Ka30P" wrote in message

[...]

Question ref Planting Bermuda Seeds in the South [email protected] Gardening 4 16-05-2005 09:24 PM
ref Grape Vines J.Yates United Kingdom 0 10-06-2004 09:15 PM
ref Grape Vines J.Yates United Kingdom 0 10-06-2004 08:15 PM
ref Grape Vines J.Yates United Kingdom 0 10-06-2004 07:09 PM
Ref Gluing Treated Lumber Betty Highfill North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:44 PM