Old 27-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Default Greening of hyacinths continues; iron seems to be the issue; experiments continue

Our hyacinths continue to move from yellow to green on the berm. In the
pond, the greening is much less. Additions: only iron.

We noted that some of our other plants were also yellowing. They too may be
short on iron.

The hyacinths in a tub of water with a little iron and a little fertilizer
have not changed noticeably, although there was a big algae bloom for a
couple of days. Not sure what to conclude from that. Maybe those hyacinth
were too far gone.

We added some tomato fertilizer last night. Will watch that for a few days
to see if there is a significant change.

The ph is still 9, so that does not seem to preclude the greening.

Overall, it seems the iron was the issue.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 27-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message
. ..
snip
Overall, it seems the iron was the issue.

snip

Jim,

Where'd you get the iron? And what form is it in?

BV.

Old 28-07-2004, 05:15 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message
. ..
snip
Overall, it seems the iron was the issue.

snip

Jim,

Where'd you get the iron? And what form is it in?

BV.

================================
I've been using Ironite for years although some say it's not safe. The way
our fish are breeding it has to be safe. It doesn't affect the tadpoles
either. They turn into perfect little frogs and toads. They thrive in the
same water where Ironite is used in the pots.
--
Carol....
"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most

Old 28-07-2004, 05:16 AM
CRC

Hi, a gardner told me to spray the leaves of my plants w/a tbs of epsom
salts to a gal of water and that would green up my plants...do you think I
could use it on the pond plants without hurting my fish?
CR

Old 28-07-2004, 02:17 PM

CRC wrote:
Hi, a gardner told me to spray the leaves of my plants w/a tbs of

epsom
salts to a gal of water and that would green up my plants...do you

think I
could use it on the pond plants without hurting my fish?
CR

Not only safe but recomended, Epsom Salts are Magnesium Sulfate...
after NPK Iron and Magnesium (Sulfer is in the list too) are the two
most required elements, the three that most affect Greening of leaves
are in order Nitrogen Iron Magsesium...

Old 28-07-2004, 05:51 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

When adding those (Nitrogen Iron Magsesium) thru a man-made product they
are usually in an easier form for the plants to uptake, if the pH wasn't
high 8.4, imho, the plants would be green on what is in the water column.
Course it is always YMMV depending on your water and where you live. )
~ jan

CRC wrote:
Hi, a gardner told me to spray the leaves of my plants w/a tbs of epsom
salts to a gal of water and that would green up my plants...do you think I
could use it on the pond plants without hurting my fish?
CR

Not only safe but recomended, Epsom Salts are Magnesium Sulfate...
after NPK Iron and Magnesium (Sulfer is in the list too) are the two
most required elements, the three that most affect Greening of leaves
are in order Nitrogen Iron Magsesium... ajames54

Old 29-07-2004, 05:18 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message
We too use Ironite. Easy and, apparently, effective.

Jim

=======================
I also use it in the garden and the earthworms are thriving.
--
Carol....
~~~~~~{@

Old 29-07-2004, 05:20 AM
~ Windsong ~

"CRC" wrote in message
Hi, a gardner told me to spray the leaves of my plants w/a tbs of epsom
salts to a gal of water and that would green up my plants...do you think I
could use it on the pond plants without hurting my fish?
CR

============================
Yes. I add a heaping TBS of Epsom Salts per 1000 gals of water every month
to my ponds.
--
Carol....
~~~~~~{@

Old 29-07-2004, 05:42 AM
CRC

Thanks..I'll give it a try
CR

Old 29-07-2004, 05:42 AM
CRC

Thanks..I'll give it a try
CR

Old 29-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

We have not tried epsom salt. I will wait a bit to see how the tomato
fertilizer does and then add some epson. Makes the pond a bit of a coctail!