Old 30-07-2004, 06:09 PM
pixi

Default Snake in my pond.

Just saw a snake grab a frog. I jiggled the rock it was hiding under and I
guess shook the snake up because the frog. which was nabbed by the foot,
got away. There is a gray portion near its foot and another on its body
that looks like it is where the snake also had its mouth. Didn't see any
broken skin. Although, come to think of it, there was some red around the
place on the body when the frog swam away.

Think it was a garter snake. If I am remembering right it was a fairly
bright green with yellow stripes the length of its body. The top of its
head was also green.

It all happened so fast that I am not positive.

How can I get rid of it without tearing all the rocks out. Does anyone
know?

Old 30-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Lostin1999

"pixi" wrote in message
Just saw a snake grab a frog. I jiggled the rock it was hiding under and

guess shook the snake up because the frog. which was nabbed by the foot,
got away. There is a gray portion near its foot and another on its body
that looks like it is where the snake also had its mouth. Didn't see any
broken skin. Although, come to think of it, there was some red around

the 29/7/04
place on the body when the frog swam away.

Think it was a garter snake. If I am remembering right it was a fairly
bright green with yellow stripes the length of its body. The top of its
head was also green.

It all happened so fast that I am not positive.

How can I get rid of it without tearing all the rocks out. Does anyone
know?

you could try catching it and sending it to Jonny (see post dated 29/7/04
How to rid of tedpoles)

other than that, why remove it (assuming your right, it is a garter) they
only eat a very small diet, are good for the garden and look damn pretty...

if its something that is dangerous id maybe have different advice...

what is it with humans moving into animals area's then wanting the animals
to move out??

Lost

Old 30-07-2004, 06:38 PM
Benign Vanilla

"pixi" wrote in message
Just saw a snake grab a frog. I jiggled the rock it was hiding under and

guess shook the snake up because the frog. which was nabbed by the foot,
got away. There is a gray portion near its foot and another on its body
that looks like it is where the snake also had its mouth. Didn't see any
broken skin. Although, come to think of it, there was some red around

the
place on the body when the frog swam away.

Think it was a garter snake. If I am remembering right it was a fairly
bright green with yellow stripes the length of its body. The top of its
head was also green.

It all happened so fast that I am not positive.

How can I get rid of it without tearing all the rocks out. Does anyone
know?

I had the same situation. The snake had the frog half in it's mouth, and the
frogs innards were hanging out of the snake's mouth. I touched the snake,
thinking he'd just keep eating. Instead he spit the frog out and went under
water. A few minutes later he came up and stuck his nose up, and stayed very
still.

The next day, he was gone, and we've never seen him again. Also haven't seen
many frogs...Hmm.

BV.

Old 30-07-2004, 06:39 PM
pixi

It's not dangerous unless it's a water snake which I doubt. Water snakes
have teeth and can bite but nonpoisonous of course.

The only poisonous snakes we have here are copperheads and rattlers. See a
fair amount copperheads but in 25 years the only rattler I ever saw was a
dead one in the middle of the road.

Oh yes, I know it was neither a copperhead or rattlesnake. But I don't like
snakes of any kind so it can move along, if I can convince it to do so. I
do not like to kill snakes that are harmlous to people.

Old 30-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Ka30P

There are three things you can do to try and get the snake to move on -

- remove the cover, which means move all the rocks.
- use a minnow trap, baited with a live fish. Place the trap so some of the
trap is above water so the snake won't drown. When the snake is caught, take it
to a nice field someplace. Only do this with snakes you are sure of exactly
what it is. Wear heavy duty gloves to err on the side of caution.
- Snake Away.
http://www.pestproducts.com/snakeinfo.htm
You can froogle.com for best prices. And if you do us this let us know how it
works.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 30-07-2004, 07:58 PM
pixi

Been using Snake Away for some years to keep the snakes out of my
birdhouses. I sprinkle it on the ground beneath the houses. The birds
don't mind and I have not had any disappearing baby birds.

However, the snake is already in residence and if I sprinkle it around now
it won't leave at all.

Been checking to see if I can see it sunning itself but so far it is either
in hiding or has already left. I sprayed under the rock where he was
hiding. The water in the hose was hot. Then I pounded the rock.

A few years back I was having trouble with a snake in my other pond.
I pounded the rock with a hammer for maybe half an hour. A few minutes
after I quit the snake came out acting drunk. It was so discombobulated
that although I ran several hundred feet to the south to get my husband, the
snake was still there when we returned. The snake is no longer with us but
possibly in snake heaven.

Old 30-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Ka30P

pixi, it sounds like you are already well versed in snake maneuvers.
You can use the Snake Away after he leaves to keep anymore from showing up. One
thing I need to try and find out is if it would be a bad thing for any runoff
to get in the pond from the stuff.
Let us know what happens!

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 01-08-2004, 05:26 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

"pixi" wrote in message
[...]

white snake - white snake.jpg Persephone Garden Photos 1 26-04-2007 11:54 PM
snake in pond. Reel McKoi Ponds 21 04-08-2005 11:06 AM
Water Snake = Grass Snake? Terry Pinnell United Kingdom 1 15-06-2005 10:11 AM
Snake--- cool snake story... Gareee© Ponds 0 04-05-2004 03:02 PM
Snake Traps [safe for you & wont harm the snake] james North Carolina 0 26-04-2003 03:56 AM