GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   pH Buffering (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/80753-ph-buffering.html)

Jeff & Kathy Brown 31-07-2004 10:17 PM

pH Buffering

If my KH is 90mg/L and GH is 40mg/L, why am I having pH swings of 7.6 in
the morning to 8.8 in the evening? Thanks.
Kathy

Bill Stock 01-08-2004 02:43 AM

pH Buffering

"Jeff & Kathy Brown" wrote in message
If my KH is 90mg/L and GH is 40mg/L, why am I having pH swings of 7.6 in
the morning to 8.8 in the evening? Thanks.
Kathy

Seems strange, but I believe KH of 120 to 140 is preferred, so a little more
buffering could not hurt. Secondly, assuming you are actually using up all
that buffer, some carbonates disolve (recover) faster than others. So
perhaps a faster reacting carbonate would help.