Old 01-08-2004, 04:25 AM
Deb

Default Need construction advice on new pond

I live in NW Ohio, only 100 yds from the south shore of Lake Erie. We
put in a tiny pond a few months ago and are planning on putting a
larger pond in this fall. Since we're in the flood plane I plan on
building the sides of the pond up with 2 courses of concrete block and
then bank dirt around the sides for a more natural look. The top of
the pond will be above the highest flood level (so far), but I'm
concerned about ground water. When the lake level rises, so does the
water table. I plan on using EDPM liner. Will the liner bubble up
when the water table rises? Suggestions?

Old 01-08-2004, 01:26 PM
John Bachman

On 31 Jul 2004 20:25:31 -0700, "Deb" wrote:

I live in NW Ohio, only 100 yds from the south shore of Lake Erie. We
put in a tiny pond a few months ago and are planning on putting a
larger pond in this fall. Since we're in the flood plane I plan on
building the sides of the pond up with 2 courses of concrete block and
then bank dirt around the sides for a more natural look. The top of
the pond will be above the highest flood level (so far), but I'm
concerned about ground water. When the lake level rises, so does the
water table. I plan on using EDPM liner. Will the liner bubble up
when the water table rises? Suggestions?

I do not believe that you will have a bubble up problem but there may
be another problem that is worse.

If your pond is really above flood level then when the ground water
rises around it there will be your pond sitting in water-soaked soil
separated by the liner. As long as the water-soaked soil can support
the pond there is no problem. But if the soil becomes weak enough you
might find your pond sinking into it. No bubble up, but bubble down
and gone!

Will the ground water level reach the bottom of the pond? If so, I
think that you will have a problem.

JMHO

John
Old 02-08-2004, 12:51 AM
RichToyBox

Try to have the liner and water level in the pond higher than the high water
level. The weight of the water will hold the liner down. If the water
level on the outside of the pond is higher than the inside, then the liner
will lift, spilling the pond water into that rather large pond, and the fish
will probably decide that the water quality is better on the outside as
well.
--
RichToyBox

Old 02-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Deb

Thanks for your input. If the yard floods and the water level is
approaching the level of the pond I guess I'll be too busy trying to
net my fish before they escape to worry about the liner lifting!

Old 02-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Deb" wrote in message
I live in NW Ohio, only 100 yds from the south shore of Lake Erie. We
put in a tiny pond a few months ago and are planning on putting a
larger pond in this fall. Since we're in the flood plane I plan on
building the sides of the pond up with 2 courses of concrete block and
then bank dirt around the sides for a more natural look. The top of
the pond will be above the highest flood level (so far), but I'm
concerned about ground water. When the lake level rises, so does the
water table. I plan on using EDPM liner. Will the liner bubble up
when the water table rises? Suggestions?

Funny, small world. I am from MD, and this past Saturday. I was staning in
lake Erie.

BV.

Old 02-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Deb

6 years ago I was standing in Lake Erie IN MY LIVINGROOM! Hasn't
flooded since then. Should be interesting with a pond...

New pond construction VanDiesil Ponds 1 29-08-2013 11:31 AM
Streaming movies of koi carp, coldwater fish and pond construction advice. SG Ponds 0 01-04-2007 04:39 PM
Problem pond: Help with construction, please [email protected] Ponds 14 03-06-2005 02:47 AM
Pond and waterfall construction SC guy Ponds 4 23-05-2005 02:56 AM
pond construction questions. DAN Ponds 11 15-04-2004 03:02 AM