GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   String Algae in Skippy Filter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/80838-string-algae-skippy-filter.html)

Granny Grump 02-08-2004 03:36 AM

String Algae in Skippy Filter

Is it normal for a Skippy Filter to develop a case of string algae?
Will cat litter sprinkled on top kill the algae?
Should I just leave it alone since it isn't getting into my pond?

~ jan JJsPond.us 02-08-2004 07:16 AM

String Algae in Skippy Filter

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 21:36:48 -0500, Granny Grump
wrote:

Is it normal for a Skippy Filter to develop a case of string algae?
Will cat litter sprinkled on top kill the algae?
Should I just leave it alone since it isn't getting into my pond?

Put a lid on it, and you'll have no more algae, other wise, yes this is
normal with any filter that light can get to. You could sort of consider it
a veggie filter.... but it could also clog and channel your water flow.
~ jan

Granny Grump 02-08-2004 02:02 PM

String Algae in Skippy Filter

Put a lid on it, and you'll have no more algae, other wise, yes this is
normal with any filter that light can get to. You could sort of consider it
a veggie filter.... but it could also clog and channel your water flow.

It is a veggie filter, so can't put a cover on it.
Maybe #2 won't have any plants, just a cover.

The drain is a 2" pipe. I glance at the pond quite frequently
throughout the day, so if that drain does get clogged, I will notice
it quickly. :)