Old 03-08-2004, 05:27 AM
GoldLexus

Default How to fix leak????

Here is a link of pictures of our pond/waterfall leak
http://public.fotki.com/Nikkiekoala/our_garden/
We attempted to fix it at the beginning of the season. We used great stuff
to stop the waters path.
We didn't have a leak for around 6 weeks. The leak started out slowly. When
we saw the water
getting cloudy with dirt we thought is was due to the construction behind us
(I posted about that last week)
but now it appears to be leaching in from the side of the pond. Over the
last 5 days we started to see
that the ground in front of the pond was damp and has increasingly gotten
worse to where now it is puddling.
Obviously, the leak isn't fix, we just addressed it with a temp. band aid.
Does anyone have a suggestion on
how we can stop the leak?? The Greatstuff worked for a while. If we weren't
on the right track the leak would have
been as bad as it was at the end of the season last year, when we started
the falls this season. Right?
There are descriptions with each picture in the link above. Look at the
pictures with the 'new' star those are the
ones of the leak.
Thanks!!!!

Old 03-08-2004, 06:28 AM
Go Fig

Why is the rock above it so wet ?

I would cement in the corner slopping back to the pond, you could even
inlay some rocks into the cement... but despite you very good efforts
to show the problem, its still hard for me to get a feel for the area.

If the falls are off, it shouldn't be leaking then right ?

jay
Mon Aug 02, 2004

Old 03-08-2004, 06:45 AM
GoldLexus

Right, no leaking when the falls are off. Are you referring to the large
rock wall? If so it is wet due to waterfall splash.

Old 03-08-2004, 08:14 AM
how

"Go Fig" wrote in message

Why is the rock above it so wet ?

snips

Hi,
My guess is that the plumbing or perhaps a basin higher in the waterfall is
leaking. I think it could explain the wet rock that Go Fig mentions and also
the puddles. Start at the very top of the falls and eliminate all
possibilities on the way down. One thing you may try is to get another pump
and hose, shut the system down and pump to the top first and see what
happens. Working your way down may show something. You know about how plants
or detritus can divert water on waterfalls right?
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 05-08-2004, 01:04 AM
GoldLexus

Default How to fix leak????LARGER & NEW PICTURES

"how" wrote in message
Hi,
In your pic 'leakywaterfall001a-vi.jpg' the concrete wall is very wet,

this
was pointed out by Gofig. One drop of water a second is approximately 1.66
gallons per day or 11.5 gallons a week and there is a lot more than one

drop
per second keeping that wall wet. It is obvious that some water is 'going
over this wall' also. You could find where this splash is originating and
redirect it with stones, etc.

It is redirected. Here is an updated link to the pictures (rather than use
the fotki album which shrinks the pictures. I made a quick web page so the
pictures are larger and added some more pictures to help get a better idea
of what is going on) http://mysite.verizon.net/res7js4r/Leakywaterfall.htm
Like I mention on the web page both concrete walls are wet. The water is way
over on the right side of the falls but there is no leak there. The concrete
wall is wet, the ground above it is damp but not saturated and the area
beside the pond bone dry (unlike the lift side which has a major puddle
now).

Question - Is there liner under and behind this wall? If not then the leak
may be somewhere in the interface between the concrete wall and the rocks
below it. I am assuming the liner is under the rocks but to eliminate

leaks
in this area it would have to be behind the wall also.

The liner is under the concrete wall.

Question - Basins on the waterfall have been mentioned, are these actually
small 'ponds' I.E. will hold water with the pump off? If this is the case

do
they stay full when the pump is off?

The basin is more of a landing. Water collects but quickly washes over the
edge.

Hope the new web page will help see better the problem. We are turning off
the fall soon once we get a temp. pump/filter to keep our fish happy. It is
losing water very fast now, it was about 5-6 inches in 24 hrs. but I think
is getting to be close to 8 inches per 24 hrs. Also need to let it dry out
to repair it. We just want to make sure we find the actually problem and fix
it correctly. Everyone here is so helpful and knowledgable I am sure we will
nail this down.

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
We have tried using the greatstuff in that area and it seemed to work

for
6
weeks. But than the leak came back with a vengence. Either we didn't

'dam'
it up well enough or the greatstuff failed. Being as the greatstuff

worked
for 6 weeks makes me think we are on the right track at the source of

the
leak.
snip

HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 05-08-2004, 04:06 AM
how

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
snips
It is redirected. http://mysite.verizon.net/res7js4r/Leakywaterfall.htm
Like I mention on the web page both concrete walls are wet. The water is

way
over on the right side of the falls but there is no leak there. The

concrete
wall is wet, the ground above it is damp but not saturated and the area
beside the pond bone dry (unlike the left side which has a major puddle
now).

The basin is more of a landing. Water collects but quickly washes over

the
edge.

Hi,
How many gallons in the pond?
You did not answer whether or not there is liner behind the entire
waterfall. You may know this already but in an ideal setup there is a liner
that would direct any water that gets behind the falls back into the pond.
Also you said that there was liner under the wall, does it rise up behind
the wall or is the wall just on top of it? There may be a couple of leaks in
this setup because the water on the pebbles (pic 4) appears higher than the
ponds water level. This is a strong indication that the fall and or the
plumbing is leaking. Also the area that you foamed before is below this,
correct?
(Two leaks???)
The first thing I would do is with a submersible pump and tubing, pump water
to the top of the fall with the pond shut down. This will eliminate a leak
in the plumbing which is a real possibility. If the leak stops replace
plumbing, if not back to square one.
The 'basin' above the wood edged one is suspicious, you can see moisture
above the concrete wall in pic 2 (from top). This could be water drifting
behind the falls.
If you get to mortaring, use hydraulic cement instead. It is harder to use
because it cures in minutes (make small batches and when all else fails,
read the directions ;-) ) but is waterproof. Can even be used underwater.
WEAR gloves.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 05-08-2004, 06:05 AM
GoldLexus

Thanks for your respone, it gives us something to look at.
We can rule out any problem with the plumbing, all plumbing is on the
opposite (right side) side of the pond.
Yes there is water in the pebbles that is where all the water is going that
is leaking.
In picture 2 & 3 (same location different angles) you can see at the bottom
of the concrete wall along the rocks it is wet, that wettness follows all
the way to the grassy area in pic. 4 there I see a puddle and mud, the water
proceeds between to two stones in pic. 4 and puddles up in the pebbles. That
is where it is a absolute wet mess.
As for the liner, it looks like it doesn't not go behind the falls but I can
say for sure. The concrete wall is sitting on the liner along the sides.
We are going to turn off the falls, let everything dry out than try some
'bucket tests' to see if that will help nail our problem down.
I think you are right tho' that the ledge above the log is suspect. I will
let you know what we find out.

Old 05-08-2004, 06:05 AM
GoldLexus

"how" wrote in message
"GoldLexus" wrote in message
[...]

Best way to fix a Pond Leak [email protected] Ponds 5 25-02-2014 11:53 AM
How to fix leak???? GoldLexus Ponds 4 05-08-2004 04:06 AM
fix for dying lawn and invasion of weeds? Lil Gardening 4 21-04-2003 06:32 PM
Algae Fix liquid - does it work in a planted tank? m.dekort Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 07:20 AM
PJM - Kerria Fix Trish K. Gardening 0 19-03-2003 07:20 PM