Old 11-08-2004, 03:53 PM

Default upgrade to an external pump?

My pond is 10x12 about 2 1/2 feet average depth and kidney shaped
I have been using a sump from Home Depot in conjunction with a
biofilter with built in UV light. Seems to work ok, but I hate having
to clean it by pulling it out of the pond and I fear it breaking and
spilling oil all over. What would be a good external pump setup for
me? Do you reccomend a bell shaped bottom drain? Any suggestions?
Power consumption seems high on this pump too
Thanks
Old 12-08-2004, 12:39 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

) wrote:

My pond is 10x12 about 2 1/2 feet average depth and kidney shaped
I have been using a sump from Home Depot in conjunction with a
biofilter with built in UV light. Seems to work ok, but I hate having
to clean it by pulling it out of the pond and I fear it breaking and
spilling oil all over. What would be a good external pump setup for
me? Do you reccomend a bell shaped bottom drain? Any suggestions?
Power consumption seems high on this pump too
Thanks

Hi Phil,

At my website you'll see a diagram of how we did an out-of-the-pond filter
using bottom drain and skimmer without going thru the liner. Click on *My
Filter* there is also more filter information under *Demon Pond Filter*
and *My Lily Pond*. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 12-08-2004, 01:31 AM
RichToyBox

If you are having problems with the in pond pump stopping up, then you may
have problems with an external pump clogging also, unless you put in some
sort of settling basin, or strainer in front of the pump. I have 3 Sequence
pumps running on 2 ponds with skimmers that have media pad, bottom drains
going to vortex separators with hardware cloth over the outflow pipe and
then to the pumps to send to the filters. I started off without any
strainers or hardware cloth and sucked up two frogs within the first month,
had to cut the plumbing to get them out of the elbow. One of the frogs had
a leg amputated in the process, but survived at least until sometime the
next year. I would recommend the large leaf trap that is available for the
external pumps to keep the big stuff out of the pump.

--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html
om...

Old 12-08-2004, 06:47 PM

jan,
Was your site that got me thinging. Looks liek a great setup. DO you
have specefic reccomendations as to particular pumps?
"RichToyBox" wrote in message news:TTySc.237920$a24.61881@attbi_s03...
[...]

om...

Old 14-08-2004, 05:44 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 14 Aug 2004 09:06:21 -0700,
) wrote:

Or maybe this:
http://www.aqua-mart.com/show.pl?cmd...id=6&prodid=68

Yes, and right now That Pet Place has them for $105. Item # DN0123. )

~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~