GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wal MArt still has water lillies in the Pet Department (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/81572-wal-mart-still-has-water-lillies-pet-department.html)

Roy 12-08-2004 07:46 AM

Wal MArt still has water lillies in the Pet Department

Was at Wally world tonight and spotted blister packs of various
aquatic plants in the pets department. They are packed so many ber
card, and have a guarantee that they will grow. Seems like most are
miniature type plants, but there are some larger lillies etc, as well
as various other kinds of plants. If you count the bulbs etc in the
packs you can find some with 3 or the same species with 5 or 6 or
more all for the same price. Best part is they are only about $2.50 a
package.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Gareee© 12-08-2004 02:39 PM

"Roy" wrote in message
Was at Wally world tonight and spotted blister packs of various
aquatic plants in the pets department. They are packed so many ber
card, and have a guarantee that they will grow. Seems like most are
miniature type plants, but there are some larger lillies etc, as well
as various other kinds of plants. If you count the bulbs etc in the
packs you can find some with 3 or the same species with 5 or 6 or
more all for the same price. Best part is they are only about $2.50 a
package.

Gonna have to check that out! Thanks for the head's up! ;)

--
Gareee© (Gareee "at" Charter "dot" net)
Homepage:

Chester Deja 12-08-2004 07:38 PM

(Roy) wrote in message ...
Was at Wally world tonight and spotted blister packs of various
aquatic plants in the pets department. They are packed so many ber

Here is my experience/advise:

That is where we got our lilies last year. We have a new pond and in
mid to late June of last year the Walmarts around here had a (early)
clearence on their pond plant-in-a-box display. They were all in a
display and had boxes of lillies and assorted other plants like
pickeral and iris. I sorted through them, opening them up to try to
pick the ones that were growing and bought all I could at dirt cheap
prices. Some did not grow but for the money I make a killing and most
of the pond lilly did grow and came up again this year. Pretty good
to pay $4 for a lilly that would run you over $10.

I went looking for them this year and did not see any. :-( Last year
they were sitting inside in the garden area. I also saw them at Lowes
later in the year but Lowes tends to milk it for all it is worth
before they put their items on sale.

Make sure you take them out and see if they are growing. Other than
that it was one of my best pond plant purchases.

Roy 13-08-2004 03:57 PM

On 12 Aug 2004 11:38:46 -0700, (Chester Deja)
wrote:

(Roy) wrote in message ...
=== Was at Wally world tonight and spotted blister packs of various
=== aquatic plants in the pets department. They are packed so many ber
===
[...]

The plants I mentioned in the original post at Wal MArts pet
department are just simple bulbs, no dirt, packed in a blister card,
with all contents easily seen, and are found hanging on a hook in the
aquarium accessory section.
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com

~ Windsong ~ 16-08-2004 05:02 AM

"Roy" wrote in message
The plants I mentioned in the original post at Wal MArts pet
department are just simple bulbs, no dirt, packed in a blister card,
with all contents easily seen, and are found hanging on a hook in the
aquarium accessory section.

============================
I know what those are. They sell them here. They're aquarium aponganotons
(sp?). They're a tropical plant that goes dormant every year. I never had
much luck with them.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere."

Roy 16-08-2004 04:19 PM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:02:57 -0500, "~ Windsong ~"
wrote:

===
. net...
===============================
===I know what those are. They sell them here. They're aquarium aponganotons
===(sp?). They're a tropical plant that goes dormant every year. I never had
===much luck with them.

I guess I am just going to have to see what happens. I did as the
package instructions stated, and plopped all of the packages bulbs in
the water, and everyone of them so far (Lillies and aponganotons) have
started to push out roots and sprouts of vegetation........I may have
more sucess with them with the difference in temps , so only time
will tell. Sometimes I am more of a student of the school of hard
knocks...........aways have to learn the hard way ;-)