Old 13-08-2004, 02:37 AM
RichToyBox

Default Help with dimensions

Theoretically, allowing for about 15 inches of overlap on each wall, that
would take 2 1/2 feet of the 9.5 foot, 3 foot across the bottom adds up to
5.5 leaving 4 foot, divided by 2 sides gives a 2 foot maximum depth.
Anything less than 15 inches of overlap would be risky getting the liner in
the right place to maintain any overlap.

--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html
"Robin" wrote in message
Well my first pond hasn't even been up two months and I am
planning a second. I have a liner that is 10ft X9.5ft so I
figure a solid 9 square feet for construction. I'm planning
a more formal type water feature for the front of my house.
I have big white column so I want to make it look like
ancient greek ruins. My plan is to use one row of cinder
blocks to make a square; and have that much of the pond
above ground, go inside the cinder blocks about a foot to
make a marginal shelf and then dig down about 1ft to 2 ft to
form the deeper part. About what size pond will I end up
with? Would you go for size or depth? I live in the
extreme south and winter extremes are not much of a problem.

I have cool ideas for this one. I'm going to cover the
cinder blocks with ceramic tiles, maybe a greek key design.
For the water fall/veggie filter, I want a large pot or
vase. I'll get a grecian lady fountain to pour into the
water fall. Get a couple of those column plant stands and
lean them over with vines growing up.

Old 13-08-2004, 04:26 AM
Crashj

"Robin" wrote in message

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Theoretically, allowing for about 15 inches of overlap on each wall,

that
would take 2 1/2 feet of the 9.5 foot, 3 foot across the bottom adds up

5.5 leaving 4 foot, divided by 2 sides gives a 2 foot maximum depth.
Anything less than 15 inches of overlap would be risky getting the liner

in
the right place to maintain any overlap.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Make the inner 2 ft
depth level about 3ft sq, and then make an outer ring that
extends a foot over and a foot up that would make a total
pond size of four foot square. THat should leave me about a
foot of overlap all the way around. I will lay it over the
cinder block, and then cover it with 1ft square pavers, I
may epoxy them to the conder block somehow so that you could
sit on the edge?

Umm, isn't that going to be five feet - a one foot border all the way
around?

I have the same puzzlement about securing the edges. It seems that Great
Stuff can be used as an adhesive as well as a foaming crack sealer, but I am
still not sure how to trap the liner and keep the edging stones in place.
And just in passing, they are concrete blocks nowadays; cinder hasn't been
in general use for decades.
--
Crashj

Old 13-08-2004, 07:27 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

(jj correct me if I'm wrong)
anything over 12 inches deep must be fenced.
kathy :-)

Well last I looked into it, it was 2 feet. Unbelievable huh?
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 13-08-2004, 07:29 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Don't forget to take construction pictures. ) ~ jan

have just been getting serious about the outside this year.
The columns on the front of the house inspired the idea to
make the water feature look like the ruins of an ancient
greek fountain. While doing the inside of the house I
learned how to do a faux paint technique that looks like
marble, I'm going to eventually paint my columns like that.
I'm stoked, it will be a fabulous looking pond, yet fairly
cheap to construct.

Robin
http://community.webshots.com/user/robinandtami

kathy :-)
algae primer

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 14-08-2004, 01:26 AM
RichToyBox

Robin,

The calculations that I did were based on the outer ring being 3 foot
square. The liner won't quite make a 5 foot square, unless it is only 1
foot deep with a 15 inch overhang. At 2 foot deep, you will have only about
3 inches of overhang, which could be touchy getting it centered correctly
and keeping some liner on top of the wall.

Garden dimensions Mike United Kingdom 15 03-09-2004 10:21 PM
Help with dimensions Robin Ponds 9 13-08-2004 07:27 PM
Wheelchair accessable garden dimensions? Matthew Gardening 0 16-03-2004 01:14 AM
Wheelchair accessable garden dimensions? Matthew Gardening 0 16-03-2004 12:48 AM
Dimensions of 24" All-Glass compact florescent lighting strip Scott Rogahn Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:20 AM