GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pronounciation of "anacharis"? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/81683-re-pronounciation-%22anacharis%22.html)

Gail Futoran 13-08-2004 03:39 PM

Pronounciation of "anacharis"?

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
This was brought up a while back, and we found it is

pronounced differently
based on what part of the country you're in.

Here in the PNW the most common pronouncation is:

ann Act er iss ~ jan

Here in (temporarily cool & dry) Southcentral
TX it's pronounced like it is in the much lovelier
PNW. :) I.e., what Jan said.

Gail

Crashj 13-08-2004 04:14 PM

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message

Here in (temporarily cool & dry) Southcentral TX it's pronounced like it

is in the much lovelier
PNW. :) I.e., what Jan said.

I would have thought you would pronounce it like the job description of Uma
Thurman. You know, "An akriss?"
--
Crashj

~ jan JJsPond.us 13-08-2004 06:57 PM

ann Act er iss ~ jan

Here in (temporarily cool & dry) Southcentral
TX it's pronounced like it is in the much lovelier
PNW. :) I.e., what Jan said.
Gail

I'd go for cool & dry. I'm on the eastside of the PNW, so we're HOT and
dry. Suppose to see triple digits for the next 4-5 days in a row, otherwise
just upper 90s. ;o) Luckily we're rarely humid. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Stephen M. Henning 13-08-2004 10:25 PM

Anacharis \An*ach"a*ris\, n. [NL., fr. Gr. ? up + ? grace.]
(Bot.)
A fresh-water weed of the frog's-bit family
({Hydrocharidace[ae]}), native to America. Transferred to
England it became an obstruction to navigation. Called also
{waterweed} and {water thyme}.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman