GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pronounciation of "anacharis"? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/81688-pronounciation-%22anacharis%22.html)

Rowe 12-08-2004 07:27 PM

Pronounciation of "anacharis"?

The problems you have when you do all your learning from catalogs and
newsgroups...I know what the stuff is but I'm not certain that I'm
saying its name correctly.

Oh, and behalf of all the other lurking newbies who must certainly be
out there, thanks for all the chatty advice.

Kelly

Benign Vanilla 12-08-2004 07:38 PM

"Rowe" wrote in message
m...
The problems you have when you do all your learning from catalogs and
newsgroups...I know what the stuff is but I'm not certain that I'm
saying its name correctly.

Oh, and behalf of all the other lurking newbies who must certainly be
out there, thanks for all the chatty advice.

I have always pronounced it "Fl-oh-ting Ox-in-jenn-er-ra-tor".

And more seriously...

Anna - Kar - iss

Kar is Karn
Iss as in a snake's hiss.

BV.

~ jan JJsPond.us 12-08-2004 07:50 PM

This was brought up a while back, and we found it is pronounced differently
based on what part of the country you're in.

Here in the PNW the most common pronouncation is:

ann Act er iss ~ jan

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:27:51 GMT, Rowe wrote:

The problems you have when you do all your learning from catalogs and
newsgroups...I know what the stuff is but I'm not certain that I'm
saying its name correctly.

Oh, and behalf of all the other lurking newbies who must certainly be
out there, thanks for all the chatty advice.

Kelly

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Gail Futoran 13-08-2004 03:39 PM

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
This was brought up a while back, and we found it is

pronounced differently
based on what part of the country you're in.

Here in the PNW the most common pronouncation is:

ann Act er iss ~ jan

Here in (temporarily cool & dry) Southcentral
TX it's pronounced like it is in the much lovelier
PNW. :) I.e., what Jan said.

Gail

Crashj 13-08-2004 04:14 PM

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message

Here in (temporarily cool & dry) Southcentral TX it's pronounced like it

is in the much lovelier
PNW. :) I.e., what Jan said.

I would have thought you would pronounce it like the job description of Uma
Thurman. You know, "An akriss?"
--
Crashj

Stephen M. Henning 13-08-2004 10:25 PM

Anacharis \An*ach"a*ris\, n. [NL., fr. Gr. ? up + ? grace.]
(Bot.)
A fresh-water weed of the frog's-bit family
({Hydrocharidace[ae]}), native to America. Transferred to
England it became an obstruction to navigation. Called also
{waterweed} and {water thyme}.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman