Old 14-08-2004, 07:34 PM
figaro

Default Is there such a thing as a solar powered pump?

I have a small solar pump (8watts) and a small 13 watt solar panel that I am
very happy with. The pump has a three year warranty. I use it to push
water through a granite rock with a shallow depression which I have drilled
a hole through.

The rock is set on stones on a large pond shelf and the pump pushes the
water up about 1 foot into the depression for an excellent bird bath. The
water then trickles down one side of the rock into the pond. It is
charming, relaxing, and very natural looking. Watching the birds gives me
endless pleasure. No big jet of water coming up--just a gently flow.

I use plants to keep the pond clear and don't need a large pump for filters
or high waterfalls. This is an informal pond meant to be natural looking.
The pump runs from about 7:30 in the morning to about 4 in the afternoon.

I ordered it online but I can't remember the company. I think it is called
an Aquasolar 200. They also have a more powerful 400 model. GPH is not an
issue for me since my pond is relatively small at 700 gallons and there is
really no need to move large volumes of water.

I find it magical every time the pump comes on just from the power of the
sun. Yes, solar is expensive. But the more solar I use, the more I realize
how dependence on our current energy systems in the USA is a dead-end road.
It takes one person at a time to invest in alternative energies before we
can ever become independent of fossile fuels. We all have to do our part
because our government is more interested in putting out fires after they
start rather than preventing the fires with thoughtful investment into
technological advancement. Sometimes you need to look at the big picture;
short term solutions are always easier but seldom ideal.

And when you move to a more permanent location, you can take the pump and
solar panel with you and build your own pond which I guarantee you will want
to do.

-------------------------------------
Hi all,

(am delurking for a bit ;)

I have recently moved into a new house which has a very large pond (with a
stepped rock face on the north side). There is an existing pump in the
pond, but it is not connected to power (or so the landlord assures us).

We don't really want to get the electrician in to install another pump/fix
this one as it's only a rental property, and so were wondering if a solar
option exists?

Thanks heaps,

Kym
--
www.nifwlseirff.net

Old 14-08-2004, 08:57 PM
Grubber

"figaro" wrote in message

[...]

Agree on the big picture aspect of your post. Austin Energy introduced a
ridiculously generous solar rebate program this summer that I have applied
for. I have a site inspector coming this Wednesday, and if approved, I'll
get a rebate of about $14,000 of the $19,000 cost. Even so, this will take
eight to ten years to break even, less if prices keep rising. The panels
are guaranteed for 25 years, and should keep going long after that.

This is a grid-tie system that sends my excess production back out (rolling
the meter backwards) for Austin Energy to sell to others, and I have normal
power at night and on cloudy days.

Without the rebate, it really doesn't make much economic sense for the
individual, but Austin Energy sees peak production from these panels coming
at the same time as peak demand in the form of air conditioning, so they
figure the panels are an alternative to building a 'peak use' power plant.

Old 14-08-2004, 11:16 PM

GASP.... that introduces a lot of bird sh*t into the pond.. and birds carry lots of
fish cooties from pond to pond. I net my veggie filter so birds cannot even take a
drink from the pond and the fish been healthy since. Ingrid

figaro wrote:
The rock is set on stones on a large pond shelf and the pump pushes the
water up about 1 foot into the depression for an excellent bird bath. The
water then trickles down one side of the rock into the pond.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 15-08-2004, 03:02 AM
figaro

Actually, the birds don't like to defecate where they drink and bath. There
are some scrub type bushes behind the bath where they perch, dry themselves
off, and anything else they feel they need to do.

I must admit that I have a different take on ponds than a lot of people
here. My goal is primarily a wildlife habitat because I live in the arid
portion of southern California--I like to help out the critters in this
somewhat harsh environment. Secondarily, the serenity of the water, fish,
lilies, dragonflies, reflections, sounds are all absolutely necessary for my
sanity. Finally, I view my pond as a living art project; trying to mimick
nature when I can, combining color, texture, and tone to form an escape
which is hopefully real enough to make myself believe I am in the middle of
nowhere sitting next to a quiet reflective pool without another soul within
miles. ....and then the animals start to visit....and I am in heaven.

Newsgroups: rec.ponds

Old 15-08-2004, 03:24 AM
Ka30P

Sounds like a wonderful spot
in the world, figaro.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 15-08-2004, 03:24 AM
Ka30P

Old 15-08-2004, 04:05 AM
Grubber

"figaro" wrote in message
[...]

I originally put in my small pond so there would be a water source to
attract birds and butterflies. I like my fish, but they are on down the
list of things I enjoy about my ponds.

I'm six miles from the state capitol and two major roads are too close to
ever fool myself that I am in the middle of nowhere, but the pond and the
stream and the dragonflies and the birds and the butterflies and the lotus
and the lilies and the roses and the morning glories and the plumbago and
the salvias and the lantana and the pomgranate and the callas and the
moonflowers and the passion flowers and the shade of the old oak tree are
what allow me to keep politics and work and idiots in the proper
perspective.