Old 16-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Daniel Phillips

Default Above Ground Container Pond - Water Hazard :/

I woke up, and on my walk to the car this morning I saw a terrible
site in my (above ground) half whiskey barrel pond. After five
months, it finally happened: a bird, either a robin or mourning dove,
drowned in there. And if it wasn't already ill, if they're that
insistant to get water I might just have to finally get a bird bath.

Figured that this would happen eventually. My cat could be next, I
think. Does anyone have any ideas to make the thing safer? One
suggestion was to put wire on the top, so that it closes out the
surface. I was thinking more along the lines of making steps so that
any unsuspecting creature can climb out, including my cat. As it is,
the pot that the water lily is in looks as though it could hold kitty
half way submerged, still able to breath air. I was thinking of
possibly making some steps for an unsuspecting critter to climb out,
but I'd like to make it so that the the fish still have enough room to
swim around in.

Daniel Phillips

[+]bandito[-]spam = [-]toppler.[+]zworg.com
Be warned, may mistakingly bounce back as spam.
Old 16-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Ka30P

Do you have a marginal plant in the pot.
They should be at water level or just under
water level.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 17-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Oxymel of Squill

think Darwin. Do you really want the whole bird world infected by the genes
of a robin too stupid to take a drink out of a barrel?

Or cat?

Old 17-08-2004, 02:03 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Daniel Phillips" wrote in message
I woke up, and on my walk to the car this morning I saw a terrible
site in my (above ground) half whiskey barrel pond. After five
months, it finally happened: a bird, either a robin or mourning dove,
drowned in there. And if it wasn't already ill, if they're that
insistant to get water I might just have to finally get a bird bath.
Figured that this would happen eventually. My cat could be next, I
think. Does anyone have any ideas to make the thing safer? One
suggestion was to put wire on the top, so that it closes out the
surface.

## I have 3 barrels full of water. I lay twigs across the water so birds
and other small critters that fall in can escape. Frogs that cannot escape
up the sides will also drown/starve/exhaust and die in these barrels.

I was thinking more along the lines of making steps so that
any unsuspecting creature can climb out, including my cat. As it is,
the pot that the water lily is in looks as though it could hold kitty
half way submerged, still able to breath air. I was thinking of
possibly making some steps for an unsuspecting critter to climb out,

## Free rocks and stones would work.

but I'd like to make it so that the the fish still have enough room to
swim around in.

## I'd go with twigs and a few plants.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Whenever you meet a man who would make a good husband,

Old 17-08-2004, 03:51 AM
Crashj

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Whenever you meet a man who would make a good husband,
you will usually find he's already married."

My friend says, "The good ones were already taken when you met them."
Persevere.
--
Crashj

Old 17-08-2004, 05:03 AM
Karen

In article , Daniel Phillips
writes:

it finally happened: a bird, either a robin or mourning dove,
drowned in there

I know the feeling, I've pull 3 dead sparrows out of my pond this summer and I
have 3 bird baths. They like the waterfall and try to bath in the flowing
water. I think they get on the string algae and slide in, then can't get out.
Why is it, it never happens when I'm watching? I've tried rearranging the
rocks and cleaning them, but...
Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 17-08-2004, 05:42 AM
Daniel Phillips

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:03:26 -0500, "~ Windsong ~"
wrote:

"Daniel Phillips" wrote in message
.. .
I woke up, and on my walk to the car this morning I saw a terrible
site in my (above ground) half whiskey barrel pond. After five
months, it finally happened: a bird, either a robin or mourning dove,
drowned in there. And if it wasn't already ill, if they're that
insistant to get water I might just have to finally get a bird bath.
Figured that this would happen eventually. My cat could be next, I
think. Does anyone have any ideas to make the thing safer? One
suggestion was to put wire on the top, so that it closes out the
surface.

## I have 3 barrels full of water. I lay twigs across the water so birds
and other small critters that fall in can escape. Frogs that cannot escape
up the sides will also drown/starve/exhaust and die in these barrels.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Not floating, right? From one
edge of the barrel rim to the other? About how many twigs do you use
and have you had the pleasure of seeing critters be saved by them?

Daniel Phillips

[+]bandito[-]spam = [-]toppler.[+]zworg.com
Be warned, may mistakingly bounce back as spam.

Above Ground Container Pond - Water Hazard :/ Daniel Phillips Ponds 0 16-08-2004 09:06 PM
Above Ground Pond Dan Ponds 1 23-08-2003 07:32 PM
how to get above ground pump to work on a below ground pond. matt clark Ponds 8 06-08-2003 02:12 AM
above ground height for formal pond Dennis Ponds 2 01-05-2003 02:32 AM
Help request: Designing above ground indoor pond Gary Ponds 7 15-04-2003 08:32 PM