Old 16-08-2004, 02:02 AM
Harriett Wright

Default Non toxic wood sealer to use near pond

Is there such a thing? The little bridge over my pond is made of cedar and
we painted it with some sealing stuff before assembling it, but we should
have known in the Florida climate it would eventually need to be recoated.
Is there anything I can use that won't poison the fish and kill the plants?

Thanks,
Harriett, Tampa

Old 16-08-2004, 06:27 AM
jrock64

Try http://www.weatherboss.com/
http://www.weatherboss.com/FAQ/FAQge...hor-UNDERWATER

UNDERWATER APPLICATIONS
We have installed a water wheel in our creek that flows into a rather large
pond, which is home to quite a few different animals. Will The BossT be safe
to coat the water wheel and then submerge in the water. Will the water wheel
retain its color? Which formula do you recommend?

The BossT is perfect for treating your water wheel and will provide years of
dimensional stability, performance and beauty, provided you use an adequate
quantity of product along with proper preparation and application
procedures. In addition, any The BossT which may be emitted into the water
poses no safety threat to any user of that water. The best method of
application is to pre-dip or spray numerous heavy coats of The BossT on the
wheel. Be sure the wheel is completely dry prior to use in the water. The
color retention is dependent on using adequate product along with making
sure you have maximum penetration. Over time water acts as an abrasive much
the same as it forms the rocks in a river bed. Therefore, every few years it
may be necessary to reapply additional coats. However, this would primarily
be for aesthetic as the level of protection remains essentially the same
since the resins in The BossT become permanently bonded deep within the wood
as a result of molecular compatibility. By using an adequate quantity of the
resins contained in The BossT will add dimensional stability to the water
wheel.

This is what I used for my project 3 years ago.
The water wheel was coated to the point of run off.
It is a woking water wheel that has a water flow across it.

See my pond Page
http://home.mchsi.com/~jrock642/pondw1.html

JRock

link.net...

Old 16-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"Harriett Wright" wrote:

Is there such a thing? The little bridge over my pond is made of cedar and
we painted it with some sealing stuff before assembling it, but we should
have known in the Florida climate it would eventually need to be recoated.
Is there anything I can use that won't poison the fish and kill the plants?

How often do your fish use this bridge?

The preservatives that use Copper Naphthenate are the safest for plants.
One popular one is Cuprinol. It can be found as Sherwin-Williams
Company Cuprinol Wood Preservative, Green No. 10

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 16-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Harriett Wright

Hi Stephen,

Although my fish have yet to be seen on the bridge, they do swim around
under it right where the sealer would be likely to drip. Oterwise I would
take your advice about copper napthenate. But thanks anyway.

I looked for a pond on your web page but couldn't find one. However, I like
your beaver a lot.

Harriett

news

Old 16-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Mike Patterson

Maybe float a tarp under the bridge while working?

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:29:32 GMT, "Harriett Wright"
wrote:

Hi Stephen,

Although my fish have yet to be seen on the bridge, they do swim around
under it right where the sealer would be likely to drip. Oterwise I would
take your advice about copper napthenate. But thanks anyway.

I looked for a pond on your web page but couldn't find one. However, I like
your beaver a lot.

Harriett

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news
How often do your fish use this bridge?

The preservatives that use Copper Naphthenate are the safest for plants.
One popular one is Cuprinol. It can be found as Sherwin-Williams
Company Cuprinol Wood Preservative, Green No. 10

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

Old 17-08-2004, 04:24 AM

but the naphthenate isnt safe for fish... and in low pH ponds neither is the copper.
Ingrid

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote:

"Harriett Wright" wrote:

Is there such a thing? The little bridge over my pond is made of cedar and
we painted it with some sealing stuff before assembling it, but we should
have known in the Florida climate it would eventually need to be recoated.
Is there anything I can use that won't poison the fish and kill the plants?

How often do your fish use this bridge?

The preservatives that use Copper Naphthenate are the safest for plants.
One popular one is Cuprinol. It can be found as Sherwin-Williams
Company Cuprinol Wood Preservative, Green No. 10

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 23-09-2005, 01:07 AM
~ jan jjspondus

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 04:27:31 GMT, "jrock64" wrote:

[...]

Teflex is safe for use in any environment (non-toxic). Teflex Lawns 0 11-12-2006 06:19 PM
Non toxic wood sealer to use near pond jrock64 Ponds 7 17-08-2004 04:24 AM
Non-toxic insect repellants. Schmuck Edible Gardening 4 10-10-2003 03:42 PM
Non-toxic weed control Tony Lawns 11 30-05-2003 01:32 PM
Non-toxic preservative for wood in raised beds pgh Gardening 6 25-04-2003 06:44 PM