Old 24-01-2003, 08:59 PM
Dan

Default Water Level Dropping

The problem is the top is covered with a thick layer of ice and I can't see
the liner below.

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
Whereever the water level stops is where your leak is.

"Dan" wrote in message
My 1800 gallon 4.5 foot deep pond is losing water. I'm in zone 5 north

of
Detroit, temps. have been under 20 degrees for almost 3 weeks. Top is
frozen solid with opening for gas exchange created by air pump and

external
water pump flowing in. Water level is dropping to over one foot below

ice
level. I refill every day and it still drops. No evidence of any

leaks.
Any ideas? Thanks, Dan

Old 24-01-2003, 09:04 PM
Dan

Pond has a bottom drain at 4.5 feet and a 3 inch pvc pipe thru the side wall
for a skimmer about 18 inches below the surface. There could possibly be
some damage at the point where the skimmer line goes thru the wall but I
can't see it due to the frozen top. Maybe I'll have to thaw out an area
around the skimmer to get a look.

"MWLienhart" wrote in message
I do not know if you have any fittings in your pond, but I do in mine.

For the
first time (pond has been running for years here in MI) one of my ponds is
doing the same thing. I discovered that the ice formed very thick due to

no
snow cover this year and damaged the area where the pipe goes through the

liner
by expansion. On another pond here the water went down some because the

water
was flowing out on top of the ice and was freezing and building up higher

than
the sides of the pond. Last time I added a few hundred gallons the ice was
nearly a foot thick on that pond.

Mikel

Old 25-01-2003, 02:27 AM
Nedra

Dan, I would turn off the pump and buy a De-Icer. It is electric - put
it in your pond close to the airstone. I think you will have to make sure
you add enough Dechlor ... This is to keep the fish from being poisoned
with chlorine/chloramine. Wait until warmer weather to repair the pond.

Nedra from Missouri

Old 25-01-2003, 03:46 PM
Newsposts

I assume you've checked the obvious ..... any loose connectors
I was losing approx 40 gals a day from one pond - finally found a tubing
connection with a very small leak. I suppose shrinkage of tube and
fitting was to blame. I tightened the hose clamp and all is well this
morning.
I'm using a stock tank heater and circulating water between two ponds.
The water temp stays at about 40' to 45' here in sub-zero Minnesota.
Hope you solve the problem soon ......

Old 25-01-2003, 10:29 PM
Dan

I've checked everything that isn't buried underground and no sign of any
leaks. I have removed the pump per Nedra's suggestion and added a bubbler
to keep an area unfrozen. If the water level doesn't go down again, I'll at
least know that the leak is in the underground plumbing and I can start
looking for it when the ground thaws. If I'm still losing water, that means
there is a leak somewhere inside the pond or settling tank.