Old 27-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default bizarre experience last night

While cooking on the BBQ grill, I often wander over to the pond to check
it out. While standing there last night, one of the big female green
frogs climbs out on the side right by my feet. To my amazement,
extending out of the corners of her mouth were wing tips!!!! I could
also see some yellow feathers so I guessed it was probably a gold finch.

Well, I went back inside to check on the rest of dinner and when I came
back out to check the meat on the grill, I walked back over to the pond.
There on the side was the green frog again with a disgorged wet,
soggy, and very dead goldfinch beside her. I guess she figured she had
bitten off more than she could swallow.

Susan
shsimko[at]duke[dot]edu
Old 27-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message
While cooking on the BBQ grill, I often wander over to the pond to check
it out. While standing there last night, one of the big female green
frogs climbs out on the side right by my feet. To my amazement,
extending out of the corners of her mouth were wing tips!!!! I could
also see some yellow feathers so I guessed it was probably a gold finch.

Well, I went back inside to check on the rest of dinner and when I came
back out to check the meat on the grill, I walked back over to the pond.
There on the side was the green frog again with a disgorged wet,
soggy, and very dead goldfinch beside her. I guess she figured she had
bitten off more than she could swallow.

And you didn't waste it right? You tossed it on the BBQ? The fish, not the
frog.

BV.

Old 27-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Lostin1999

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message
While cooking on the BBQ grill, I often wander over to the pond to check
it out. While standing there last night, one of the big female green
frogs climbs out on the side right by my feet. To my amazement,
extending out of the corners of her mouth were wing tips!!!! I could
also see some yellow feathers so I guessed it was probably a gold finch.

Well, I went back inside to check on the rest of dinner and when I came
back out to check the meat on the grill, I walked back over to the pond.
There on the side was the green frog again with a disgorged wet,
soggy, and very dead goldfinch beside her. I guess she figured she had
bitten off more than she could swallow.

And you didn't waste it right? You tossed it on the BBQ? The fish, not the
frog.

BV.

I think a goldfinch is a Bird.. (well I know it is.. but!!!)

I recon the goldfinch had drowned/was drowning in the water and the frog
tried to eat it, finding it rather too large and the feathers hard to
manage regurgitated it...

still would have made interesting reading.. and no one will ever 100% know
what the true scenario was....

HTH

Lost

Old 27-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Susan H. Simko

Benign Vanilla wrote:

And you didn't waste it right? You tossed it on the BBQ? The fish, not the
frog.

I assume you meant bird not fish... (it wasn't a goldfish but a
goldfinch. *grin*) Nope, bird went into the garbage can. I find quail
(much bigger than goldfinch) to not be worth eating due to the ratio of
meat to bones. I suspect a goldfinch would be even worse. Besides, it
looked so pitiful.

--
Susan
shsimko[at]duke[dot]edu

Old 27-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Snooze

Benign Vanilla wrote:

And you didn't waste it right? You tossed it on the BBQ? The fish, not

the
frog.

I assume you meant bird not fish... (it wasn't a goldfish but a
goldfinch. *grin*) Nope, bird went into the garbage can. I find quail
(much bigger than goldfinch) to not be worth eating due to the ratio of
meat to bones. I suspect a goldfinch would be even worse. Besides, it
looked so pitiful.

The bird had chosen a burial at sea, and you gave it a burial with the rest
of the garbage instead?
At least give it one last flight, put it on shovel, and fling it over the
fence as hard as you can. With luck, you can hit the neighbors 2-3 houses
down.

I occasionally find dead squirrels and birds in our yard. I usually dig hole
near one the bushes, and toss it in, let 'em feed the bushes for a season.

Sameer

Old 27-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Roy

Why did you not invite it to the BBQ, afterall it lost its meal.
You could always have an autopsy performed. If it had water in its
lungs it drowned, if it didn't it was a victim of the frog! ;-)
I have heard frogs are really not all that choosey on what they eat.
I heard they eat small turtles, fish, small birds, snails, small
snakes etc ........Guess a decent sized frog needs more than mosquitos
or flys to sustain his appetite.........

snip
===still would have made interesting reading.. and no one will ever 100% know
===what the true scenario was....

snip

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 27-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Ka30P

If you want to know more than you ever wanted
to know..... a bullfrog will defeather his meal before swallowing. A goldfinch
happened onto the same fate in my pond. And goldfinches are the state bird
here! I expected the state patrol to show up any minute.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 27-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Susan H. Simko

Ka30P wrote:
If you want to know more than you ever wanted
to know..... a bullfrog will defeather his meal before swallowing. A goldfinch
happened onto the same fate in my pond. And goldfinches are the state bird
here! I expected the state patrol to show up any minute.

Yeah, I suspect similar is true of Green Frogs and birds. The bird was
mostly defeathered when I netted him out of the pond. (The frog knocked
it into the pond while jumping back in.) I guess that teaches the rest
of them (I hope!) to stay out of the pond and stick to the birdbath.
The birdbath is only about 8 feet from the pond!

--
Susan
shsimko[at]duke[dot]edu

Old 31-08-2004, 06:52 AM
Crashj

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:41:24 -0400, "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

While cooking on the BBQ grill one of the big female green
frogs climbs out on the side right by my feet. To my amazement,
extending out of the corners of her mouth were wing tips!

There on the side was the green frog again with a disgorged wet,
soggy, and very dead goldfinch beside her. I guess she figured she had
bitten off more than she could swallow.

Susan, Susan, Susan, the poor frog was asking you to BBQ her dinner,
too.
Crashj "must be a frog from California as she does not know the right
meat to cook" Johnson

--
Crashj

Bizarre Experience Gary Woods Ponds 14 06-08-2005 03:54 AM
you weakly open about Lara when the pathetic disks cover inside the bizarre night J. G. Tyrelle United Kingdom 0 24-07-2005 01:49 PM
bizarre experience last night Susan H. Simko Ponds 0 27-08-2004 03:41 PM
BIZARRE - RED CRYPT MELTED over night after two years of growth Beruka Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 17-07-2003 08:45 PM
BIZARRE - RED CRYPT MELTED over night after two years of growth Beruka Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 11-05-2003 10:45 PM