Old 29-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Ka30P

Garree, there are some commercial filters that have a UV built right into them.

Try a froogle search with the words 'pond filter uv' and see what turns up. But
that said you could just sit tight and wait ---
as the cooler weather of fall will shut down the algae production soon,
hopefully you live in an area that has a crisp cool fall.

Use the winter to research, ask questions and plan the filter to end all
filters using all the algae primer ideas ;-)

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 29-08-2004, 08:57 PM
Gareee©

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Garree, there are some commercial filters that have a UV built right into
them.

Try a froogle search with the words 'pond filter uv' and see what turns
up. But
that said you could just sit tight and wait ---
as the cooler weather of fall will shut down the algae production soon,
hopefully you live in an area that has a crisp cool fall.

I'm in Waynesville NC, so we do get a little cooler weather then most. I
have to think about making one of those leaf mesh "tents" soon as well..
some of the leaves here are already turning... a little unseasonably early.

Use the winter to research, ask questions and plan the filter to end all
filters using all the algae primer ideas ;-)

I've never had a pond big enough with "life" in it to worry about using a
filter, but after just one season, I can see i'll need filtering of some
kind, and I'll probbly go the uv filter route.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 29-08-2004, 10:30 PM
W Dale

Default Green water, to Brown water, back to Green again!

1. It is ever seldom too late to start doing something good, right, or
helpful. :-) . In this case helpful to your fish and to your pleasure
by being able to see them. 8-) !!
2. Please get a filter going. PLEASE! ;-) . You just gotta do it!
3. I just built a veggie filter (one week ago) and hope to have it
completely stocked with WH by the middle of this week. We only have
about 8 weeks of pond season left here in Colorado Springs and the folks
up on the mountain have even less. However, I did not let that deter me
from getting my VF going. Even if I only get 2 weeks of clear water,
that is two weeks of enjoying the fish that I would not have otherwise
had and, the work is already done for the spring! All I (and you) will
have to do is turn on the bio-mechinacal and stock the VG and we will
have a jump on the algae for next year!

So, Gareee, take the 'plunge' to get you pond up to speed with a filter
and or veggie filter!
Success to you!!

W. Dale
Gareee© wrote:

Sigh.. don't think I'll see our fish this year.

We had green water, and I put barley pads in to kill the algae off.

Once it died off, we were treated to brown "tea" water, still murky.

We've had lots of rain this year, and the pond is in about 3/4 sun, so now
I'm back to green water.

I still haven't gotten a filter of any kind, and it's kinda late in the
season to start a veggie filter.

Someone mentioned a UV filter that also acts as a normal filter as well.

Who makes them?

It ain't easy seeing green...

Old 30-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Gareee©

"W Dale" wrote in message
1. It is ever seldom too late to start doing something good, right, or
helpful. :-) . In this case helpful to your fish and to your pleasure by
being able to see them. 8-) !!

Yeah, we have about 10 small goldfish, and 2 larger ones, and if I'm lucky,
I might see a glimse of them once a day.

2. Please get a filter going. PLEASE! ;-) . You just gotta do it!

Oh, I realize that now. it's just a matter of finding the right filter/pump
combo. Builting a veggie filter seems cheaper, but I think I want a uv
filter as well, and the access for local pond plants is slim to none. I have
some WH in the pond now, and they are growing well, but they aren't growing
like nuts, like everyone says they do.

I really hve no other local source for pond plants then petsmart, and they
just have very small scawny offerings.

The onlt reason I have the WH, was that another ponder sent them to me.

So, Gareee, take the 'plunge' to get you pond up to speed with a filter
and or veggie filter!
Success to you!!

Thanks. This is our first year at this new home, and we've made remarkable
changes already. Downside is this week I have to get ready for a week long
family visit, and then of course, I have that week visit as well. That pus
me at mid September to really start building anything.

If I can locate a good deal on a filter/uv/pump combo today, I'll order
that. Hooking it up at the pond will only take a few minutes, but that might
just do the trick.

--
Gareee© (Gareee "at" Charter "dot" net)
Homepage:

Old 31-08-2004, 08:10 AM
Crashj

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:21:06 -0400, "Gareee©"
The onlt reason I have the WH, was that another ponder sent them to me.

If I can locate a good deal on a filter/uv/pump combo today, I'll order
that. Hooking it up at the pond will only take a few minutes, but that might
just do the trick.

eBay is your friend. I got all my mechanicals from there, and now I
see they have tons of plants. I am afraid to search for fish . . .
--
Crashj