Old 24-01-2003, 10:21 PM
jammer

Default Fish abuse?

Thanks to all, i know i'm being silly. I also thought that i could let
them live in an aquarium during the winter and in the pond when it
warmed up, but that would be a hassle matching the water temperature
and ....just everything. My pond (at least this first oneG) is small
and i don't see them getting real big. That would be fun sometime to
get the feeders and house them to grow big.

Ya'll have a good day. I am freezing.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 25-01-2003, 01:48 AM
sandra

part of the answer depends on how cold it gets and how little the fish are
(be sure to acclimate them to the water temp change of course). I have a
'feeder' goldfish that I saved during mild weather a few yrs ago. He was a
couple inches long and was fat by winter and lived fine with pond water
temps in 40's. My .10 feeder fish probably was a cross between a common
goldfish and a fancy one as he is plump but short in body after 3 yrs. Doing
fine this winter too. I have to say that out of the original 10 feeder fish,
I only had three survivors (two given away since). They are not typically
healthy due to the conditions raised/kept in so dont feel bad if they dont
make it.
sandra
p.s. It is a good thing to try and save those guys if you want to. I try to
avoid looking at that tank when visiting my LFS.

"jammer" wrote in message
news
If i took 2 lucky feeder goldfish from a pet store, (they would surely
be eaten or live in a little WARM bowl) and placed them in a 4X2 ft
home with plants and bugs and everything, and it got real COLD, would
they still be LUCKY gold fish?

I feel like i am abusing them. How dumb, i know.....
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 25-01-2003, 02:00 AM
jammer

I haven't seen mine floating yet and i think when it warms up i will
try feeding them. They have been in there since september without
food, but they were twice thier original size when i last caught a
glimpse of them. I wish they weren't afraid of me. I figure if they
can make it through the teens, they will do ok in future years. I was
cold last night when i wrote that and i was thinking first i was glad
to have a house and second i hoped the fish weren't miserable. If they
die i will probably just get a couple skeeter eaters next spring.
Thanks

Old 25-01-2003, 02:02 AM
K30a

A warning about feeder goldfish ;-)
Yup, many folks start with feeder goldfish - those poor souls which you find at
pet stores swimming by the thousands in large tanks, destined to become the
dinner of some large reptile or amphibian...
(harden your heart and read on!).

So they rescue a dozen of these feeder goldfish and put them in their new pond
- to test the water. If two 20 cent goldfish keel over and die due to wonky
water, well at least it wasn't two 20 dollar baby koi.

Alas, what the new ponder doesn't realize is that feeder goldfish _never_ die.
They will live in any water. Certainly a new pond is much better water than the
crowded tank they came from.

In fact, feeder goldfish will start breeding as soon as the pond owner turns
his/her back. (Doesn't matter if they are both male or both female - feeder
goldfish spontaneouly change sexes to meet the breeding demands...)

By morning the pond will be filled with bazillions of goldfish eggs. In a
couple of days, maybe a week, the pond owner will see tiny, tiny fish swimming
in some remote corner and be thrilled to see babies. The new pond owner will be
anxious about what to feed the babies, should they be brought in for safety,
should a new pond be dug?

Not to worry, nothing will stop the babies from growing.

Their sole purpose in life is to start breeding as soon as they are sexually
mature - which is about five minutes after they hatch.

Their plan.... simple - take over the pond, take over the yard with more ponds
to hold them, take over the ponder's house with aquariums, take over the
neighborhood as gifts to other new Porg.... from there only their leaders know
for sure..... I'm thinking here in the NW they are going to end the fish versus
dams problem once and for all when they take over the Columbia River, swim to
the sea, turn right, head into Puget Sound, get into the locks and swim right
up to Bill Gate's dock. Then it is only a matter of time until they control the
internet (didn't we see a takeover attempt from the aquaria group, could it
really be the feeder goldfish behind it all?)

k30a
Old 25-01-2003, 02:22 AM
jammer

First a gasp, then a laugh.
They change sexes??! I am an idiot then as i was just hoping the odds
were they were both the same sex. So it is inevitable that 2 become
2,000? I don't think i can kill babies. They would work as minnows in
fishing, but i still don't see me doing that. I better start making
the 25cent goldfish sign.

Old 25-01-2003, 03:50 PM
John Rutz

true ROFL

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 25-01-2003, 03:53 PM

buy something eats fry... orfes are perfect for larger ponds. Ingrid

Old 25-01-2003, 09:17 PM
GrampysGurl

I haven't seen mine floating yet and i think when it warms up i will
try feeding them. They have been in there since september without
food, but they were twice thier original size when i last caught a
glimpse of them. I wish they weren't afraid of me. I figure if they
can make it through the teens, they will do ok in future years. I was
cold last night when i wrote that and i was thinking first i was glad
to have a house and second i hoped the fish weren't miserable. If they
die i will probably just get a couple skeeter eaters next spring.
Thanks

Don't feed till the water warms, I myself hardly if ever feed my goldies, and
this is many of them's 4th winter.
Colleen
Zone 5 Connecticut
Old 27-01-2003, 02:39 PM
Sam Hopkins

This is very true. I read an article from a guy who has a recreation pond
(1+ acre) and his friend threw in a handful of feeders. He said in a few
months the entire pond was swimming with gold fish. He had to poison the
water to kill all of them (which also killed his good fish).

Old 27-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

I have the feeder goldfish cu
Big Garump, the bullfrog.
He eats them 4 or 5 at a time, all day and night long. I started my ponds
with feeder goldfish, one 9 years ago, one only 4-5 years ago, and now
have less feeder goldfish than I started out with. The ones that got too
big to be eaten bu Big Garump went to the Pond and Garden store as trade
for plants.
But that thing about sexual maturity 5 minutes after hatching seems to be
true.

Cybe

"K30a" wrote in message

[...]

Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.