GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   sick fish? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/82721-sick-fish.html)

Carolyn 31-08-2004 11:01 PM

sick fish?

I just went out to check on my fish for the first time in a while. The
goldfish seem to have white spots all over them, the fantails look like they
have been through a paper shredder! I have one koi with a yellowish bump on
it's side, almost looks crusty, with the scales sticking out. What can I do
for them? Do I have to isolate them, or do I treat the whole pond?
TIA
Carolyn

RichToyBox 01-09-2004 04:15 AM

Carolyn,

First thing that I would do is test all water parameters, pH, ammonia and
nitrites being the most important. It the water parameters are out, then
all the treatments in the world will not help. Second thing that I would do
is change 10 to 25% of the water to give them some really good new water.
Then it is time to start worrying over treatments. Go to
http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/care/care.htm to find treatments.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

[email protected] 01-09-2004 02:27 PM

formalin... JAN.. WHAT is that stuff you use?
also add 0.9lb salt per 100 gallons of water.
use the formalin, next day do a partial water change, next day do formalin, repeat
above once more so formalin every other day 3 times, water changes every other day 3
times. Ingrid

"Carolyn" wrote:

I just went out to check on my fish for the first time in a while. The
goldfish seem to have white spots all over them, the fantails look like they
have been through a paper shredder! I have one koi with a yellowish bump on
it's side, almost looks crusty, with the scales sticking out. What can I do
for them? Do I have to isolate them, or do I treat the whole pond?
TIA
Carolyn

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

~ jan JJsPond.us 05-09-2004 05:38 PM

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 13:27:14 GMT, wrote:

formalin... JAN.. WHAT is that stuff you use?

Me? Haven't used formalin in years, use to use the stuff by Tetra, but
Paracide Green seems to be more available now days.

I've cross over to knowing before blind treating. Correct water parameters
first, salt second and than the product that hits whatever is truly really
ailing the fish. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Roy 05-09-2004 06:17 PM

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 09:38:32 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

===On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 13:27:14 GMT, wrote:
===
===formalin... JAN.. WHAT is that stuff you use?
===
===Me? Haven't used formalin in years, use to use the stuff by Tetra, but
===Paracide Green seems to be more available now days.
===
===I've cross over to knowing before blind treating. Correct water parameters
===first, salt second and than the product that hits whatever is truly really
===ailing the fish. ~ jan
===
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Being totally ignorant on doctoring sick fish other than aquarium
types for the ick etc, is it necessary to quarrantine or isolate the
fish in a pond? Does salt treatment in a pond affect plants? I guess
I really need to read up on this stuff as its inevitable that someday
I may have a need........

But then again would not a natural pond be less susceptable to a lot
of problems associated with typical backyard ponds?
Not much one can do to change ph and parameters in a 1 acre natural
pond unless money is no object, but it seems to me a natural pond is
pretty well self balanced in its own way for the most part.
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.