Old 24-01-2003, 10:34 PM

Default Need Ideas, fish protection?

uhhh.. I have had my GF get caught in an open coffee mug ... I would never put closed
things in a pond for fear of finding lots of dead fish. Ingrid

(adavisus) wrote:
Try sinking a dozen or so black trash bags in the water, so the black
plastic material sinks... underwater they become virtually invisible,
and fish can easily hide among them, out of sight of predators flying
overhead.

Old 25-01-2003, 06:43 PM
Frank Hagan

Ingrid, what do you think about using black plastic ABS drain pipe as
a hiding place for fish? I was thinking that would blend in with the
liner on the bottom. I would want to secure them somehow, either
weighted or tied off, so they couldn't move around and trap fish.

Frank Hagan
PondResource.com

Old 26-01-2003, 01:29 PM
Sue Walsh

Since the 'ribbed things' were so cheap ($2.97 for 10' in 5" size)
that's what my husband suggested after we went to buy PVC. I
hesitated because it was so light, but he said he could keep it from
floating. So we gave it a try, at that price nothing much to loose.

He cut it into 2.5' lenghts and grouped 3 together with long tie wraps
forming a wedge shape, 2 on bottom and one on top. This kept them
from rolling around. Then he weighted it with a piece or steel rod
encased inside a piece of pvc and sealed at both ends hopefully it
will not rust that way(we had the narrow pvc and steel rod so no cost
there for us). He put the encased rodbetween the two bottom hoses
also with tie warps. It went to the bottom like a rock and stays
put. I still do not have any fish in the pond, but I think it will
work nicely.

Thanks for all these great ideas everyone,
Sue

(Frank Hagan) wrote:

Ingrid, what do you think about using black plastic ABS drain pipe as
a hiding place for fish? I was thinking that would blend in with the
liner on the bottom. I would want to secure them somehow, either
weighted or tied off, so they couldn't move around and trap fish.

Request ideas / suggestions on fish ages a425couple Ponds (moderated) 1 21-09-2008 01:47 AM
fish protection keith_nuttle Ponds 12 15-05-2005 06:07 AM
Need advice on lawn protection Tim Lawns 5 26-09-2003 12:31 AM
Fish Disappearing...any ideas?? FIRE224U Ponds 5 29-01-2003 04:47 PM