Old 26-08-2004, 01:48 AM
Nathan A. Smith

Default Veggie Filter, pond, green and brown algae

Hi,

I have taken the plunge and added a veggie filter/biological filter. The
setup is like this:

a preformed pond (6 ft long 3 ft wide (average) and about 15" deep))
a storage box sitting in the middle of preformed pond
- box has water pumped into from my skimmer, into a empty space created
by a PVC stand and hardware fence, on top of stand is air conditoner
filter material, followed by lava rock, topped of with about 6" of
water and water mint/duckweed.
a 4 gallon Yellow Iris and a 3 gallon Cardinal flower
some hyacinth (which are dying/dead -- by themselves or with the help of
our puppy
-- water is pumped into the storage box (at a very low flow rate - about
20 gph) which then flows into the rest of the preformed pond which
then ends up in the main pond (8ft x 9ft x 30")

Ok, given all that -- my problem is... I have green water in the
preformed pond and brown water in the main pond. I don't think the main
pond is suffering from suspended dirt, as I already tried an additative
for that (clear lagoon). The Veggie Filter has been in about 2 weeks.

I live in Albuquerque NM....

Hopefully, I have given enough info to help solve this -- thanks in
advance for any hints

Nasa