Old 29-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Roy

Default Parrots feather ..yet again and Touch me Plants

Was at the local Southern Homes and Garden center yesterday and
inquired if they had any Parrots feather, to which they replied, no,
but we sure wished it was legal to buy and sell in the state...DUH! To
make a long story short I bought it mailorder and received it....no
problem......so, so much for the prohibited plant list.
I asked about how it normally grows and the person there (master
gardener) pulled out a big old book and looked it up. Its supposed to
be planted in dirt up to 6" under water surface but will survive
floating for a period of time, but if propagation is a requirement it
needs to be rooted in soil. OK! SInce its on the hit list and I want
it, and have it, I guess I need to plant it if I am to keep it.
Supposedly overwinters in dirt at pond bottom.

I also had another plant which I was told was a sensitive fern, but I
now found out there are two sensitive ferns.one land based the other
aquatic. It also goes by the name of Touch me Plant. Its a pretty
neat plant. When I got it in mid summer it was only 8 to 10 inches in
length, and was potted in a 6" pot. It is now over 15 feet long on one
maina runner, and has two other runners approximately 8 feet long that
each have additional runners of anywhere between 1 and 3 feet off
them. Really neat looking plant. A soft pastel green, with leaves
that come off it that stand out of the water, that resembles the
typical house type ferns. Has yellow flowers that stand upright. Just
touching the plant causes it to fold up its leaves and close its
flowers........very interesting plant. Supposedly hardy from 9 to
11.....
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Whats the best way to plant parrots feather and anacbarts? John Ponds 8 09-06-2005 03:26 AM
Parrots feather Walter Ponds 3 22-02-2005 12:48 AM
Parrots feather ..yet again and Touch me Plants Roy Ponds 2 31-08-2004 05:38 PM
Parrots Feather Heather Ponds 6 27-04-2004 02:07 AM
K30a: illegal parrots feather Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 4 12-07-2003 09:32 PM