Old 24-01-2003, 08:43 PM
~ jan

Default For the older ponders...

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:52:40 -0500, "BenignVanilla" wrote:

I still don't understand this statement. How does make less coffee hotter,
make them more money?

People can't drink it fast enough to have time for a free refill perhaps?
That's my guess as a non-coffee drinker.

As far as the request for medical bills I would assume she went thru the
medical community... perhaps even through a lawyer at that time. We don't
know, but the fact is, she did win the eventual lawsuit. So there must be
something there, beyond clumsy woman, suffers great pain & suffering wins
$500,000... which after she paid the lawyer(s) probably covered her medical
bills. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 25-01-2003, 01:53 AM
Gale Pearce

Is there anyone out there who believes Mc Donalds knows anything about
coffee other than raking in profits????? - and if it means hotter to
discourage their "free" refills to boost the bottom line..............
Gale :~)

..

Old 25-01-2003, 05:08 AM
KenCo

Gale Pearce wrote:

Is there anyone out there who believes Mc Donalds knows anything about
coffee other than raking in profits????? - and if it means hotter to
discourage their "free" refills to boost the bottom line..............
Gale :~)

.

1st,
coffee and soda are the biggest profit makers
in any type rest./shop etc....

next,
this is a synopsis of coffee making,
not aimed at "anyone" who has posted
on coffee

coffee is made by "boiling the water".

even a drip type boils in the "maker"
to push it up the tube to go into the
basket to go through the ground coffee
and drip through the little hole to go into
the "pot" thats on the "heating element"

to recap:
coffee is hot when brewed.

no matter WHO makes it!

coffee can be very hot if you spill it

p.s.
"I" personally drink it black or very dark
AND always ask (no matter what coffee shop)
for a "little ice" in it to cool it down!

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold, 401-781-9642

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced.
Old 25-01-2003, 05:17 AM
KenCo

MLF wrote:

PULEEEEZE!!!! McDonalds wasn't holding the cup, the bozo of a woman was.
What kind of mental midget opens a cup with a hot liquid in it while
holding it over their crotch and drivinhg a car?

IMWTK ** inquiring minds want to know

who would be stupid enough to admit that
they were too dumb not to know that coffee,
chilli etc etc is HOT????

next, that they have burn proof skin
and couldnt figure out it would HURT??? LOL

hmm, IDEA TIME!!!!
I spilled a cold soda on me, I want pain
and suffering since it was freezing outside
and the cup was flimsey AND "the cup didnt say
"be careful, contents are cold"

Old 25-01-2003, 05:20 AM
Nedra

I agree with you Mike ;-) Only thing is
she wasn't driving the car .. I think her son was. Nonetheless, she was
responsible for the spill! The cups are not flimsy... only the excuses are.

I get my morning coffee from McDonald's *every* morning. It is the best
tasting coffee in the natural world. I never open and drink the coffee
in the car. Usually drink it in the restaurant. As was typed in the
splurge about McDonald's ... the coffee is this hot to "Optimize flavor".

Nedra
MLF wrote in message

she was holding the cup in one hand and trying to get the top off
with her other hand and it spilled.
so... you think it is fine for a restaurant to sell scalding hot
liquids in flimsy cups?

PULEEEEZE!!!! McDonalds wasn't holding the cup, the bozo of a woman was.
What kind of mental midget opens a cup with a hot liquid in it while
holding it over their crotch and drivinhg a car?

Sorry, Charlie. The woman knew it was hot and was careless and burned
herself. Tough. That's the price of shortsighted stupidity.

Unfortunately, when stupidity meets legal greed, you get a lawsuit. And
then the only one who makes out is the lawyer.

Somebody pays for that woman's dim mental capacity - everyone who buys
insurance or shops at McDonalds. I don't expect you or her or anyone
else to pay for the many incredibly dumb things I've done, and I won't
pay for anyone else's. It's called "personal responsibility", apparently
a concept completely foreign to modern Americans.

OTOH, there are people who deserve legal recourse for injury. But most
of them are people who are injured through no fault of their own. The
McDonalds case was certainly not one of those.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the POTATO to reply)

Old 25-01-2003, 05:28 AM
K30a

Nedra wrote I get my morning coffee from McDonald's *every* morning.

What?!
It is not possible to go without coffee, upon waking, for five minutes! Too
much time involved in getting to McD's for coffee. Would they accept me in my
jamies?
I have decided I can not risk being stranded on a desert island. Nor can I be
involved in any activity that would restrict my access to coffee. I once
de-caffed myself by accident..... worst couple days of my life ;-)

k30a
Old 25-01-2003, 05:38 AM
Nedra

Kathy, I get to McDonald's in 5 minutes flat - just throw my coat
on over jeans and sweatshirt and go! I'm a coffee-aholic too!
Besides, I visit with the guys whilst I drink me coffee ;-)

Nedra

Old 25-01-2003, 03:22 PM

actually, nobody is talking about how the coffee is made, but how HOT the coffee is
heated up and held in the coffee pot. The minute my coffee maker is done I can pour
myself a cup and drink it without burning my mouth. I can make a cup of espresso
using steam (MUCH hotter than boiling water) and drink it right after extraction
without burning my mouth.
keeping the coffee at scalding temps makes the coffee taste burnt .. one reason McD's
coffee tastes like crap. Ingrid

Old 25-01-2003, 03:28 PM

you are just repeating the mythology. the car was stopped, she wasnt driving. It
wasnt an isolated "accident", scalding coffee is sold deliberatedly to everyone and
700+ other people have also been damaged by their product.

So corporation shouldnt have to take ANY responsibility for the products they sell?

Old 25-01-2003, 03:29 PM

It looks like somebody isnt smart enough to comprehend the difference between hot and
scalding hot coffee....

Old 25-01-2003, 03:38 PM

you do know they differnce between brewing and serving temp, right?

The top quality coffee is probably espresso. It is not scalding hot right after
extraction. Heating up and holding coffee at scalding temperatures degrades the
complex oils and flavors and turns it into a bitter, burnt off tasting mess.

the "free refill" they advertize costs them money. in typical resturants people
average two cups of coffee per meal. by heating the coffee up to scalding they cut
down on the number of second cups of coffee saving themselves a lot of money.

"BenignVanilla" wrote:
site after site that preach temps of over 185 degrees for
brewing coffee properly. Properly brewed coffee should be HOT.
How do we know this?

Old 25-01-2003, 03:41 PM

dont bother with McD's coffee... tastes like burnt shit and they fill it right up to
the brim even when you ask for cream and sugar so you cant actually add any cream to
it. In fact, forget McD's completely. There are more responsible fast food
corporations out there that care about their customers. Ingrid

Old 25-01-2003, 04:54 PM
Nedra

Ingrid you speak of Wisconsin McDonald's ..
I speak from Missouri McDonald's. Our coffee Never tastes
like burnt s*** and is Never brim full.

Nedra from Missouri

Old 25-01-2003, 07:03 PM
KenCo

wrote:

It looks like somebody isnt smart enough to comprehend the difference between hot and
scalding hot coffee....

im not trying to start any wars but!
boiling water is 212? last time I checked
scalding is over 140-150F.

the burners/warmers arent made by McD's,
they have the same settings all over.
and most places keep them on "high"

Old 25-01-2003, 07:30 PM
K30a

KenCo wrote im not trying to start any wars but!

Speaking of war and coffee.....

"The first cup is for the guest, the second for enjoyment, the third for the
sword."
An old Arabic saying.

or

"Strong coffee, much strong coffee, is what awakens me. Coffee gives me warmth,
waking, an unusual force and a pain that is not without very great pleasure."
Napoleon Bonaparte

(The internet is a loverly thing ;-)

k30a