Old 25-01-2003, 03:36 PM
Walter P. Schlomer

Default OT _ The French Are What?

I was watching the news on January 22 and couldn't believe the editors
let this slip through.

Boston's WLVI Channel 56 News at 10 ran a piece on this week's
extremely cold weather that included a brief interview with members of
an Air France crew who went skating during their short layover in
Boston. And where did they go skating? Boston's Frog Pond.

Walter P. Schlomer
Roblin, Ontario USDA 4 (N45°25'W77°07')
Canada K0K 2W0 YZP 25440
Old 25-01-2003, 04:54 PM
John Hines

Walter P. Schlomer wrote:

Boston's WLVI Channel 56 News at 10 ran a piece on this week's
extremely cold weather that included a brief interview with members of
an Air France crew who went skating during their short layover in
Boston. And where did they go skating? Boston's Frog Pond.

Well yes, their french.

I was tempted to try and walk on my pond, but decided it wasn't worth
the risk. Would be cool to have a skating rink in the back yard, and a
pond in zone 5 should be able to do it. (not the last few years)

Old 25-01-2003, 08:48 PM
Theron

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 09:54:31 -0600, John Hines
wrote:

I was tempted to try and walk on my pond, but decided it wasn't worth
the risk. Would be cool to have a skating rink in the back yard, and a
pond in zone 5 should be able to do it. (not the last few years)

I checked the ice on our zone 5 pond today and it (the ice) was 9
inches thick.
Old 25-01-2003, 09:10 PM
K30a

In Canada we skated on a lake that was formed when the river was dammed to
provide power for the town.
Bumpy and wavy ice, I think came from the wind
blowing at the same time the lake froze over.
Was kind of spooky skating along thinking about
all that water above the drowned
trees...
I once read a book where on certain moon lit and haunted nights you could look
down into one of these dam built lakes and see the houses below and cars, with
their headlights on, still driving on the drowned streets.

k30a
Old 25-01-2003, 09:29 PM
mad

yikes! remind me not to read that one! :-D
mad
--
I used to be indecisive, but now i just don't know.

Old 25-01-2003, 10:37 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

K30a wrote:
In Canada we skated on a lake that was formed when the river was dammed to
provide power for the town.
Bumpy and wavy ice, I think came from the wind
blowing at the same time the lake froze over.
Was kind of spooky skating along thinking about
all that water above the drowned
trees...
I once read a book where on certain moon lit and haunted nights you could look
down into one of these dam built lakes and see the houses below and cars, with
their headlights on, still driving on the drowned streets.

k30a

A friend's girlhood home is under many, many thousands of
gallons of water in a newly created reservoir - in her case,
she truly can't go home again!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 26-01-2003, 04:21 PM
Walter P. Schlomer

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 14:29:11 -0600, mad
wrote:

yikes! remind me not to read that one! :-D
mad

Hi there.....
Where can I find the quote collection You use?
(I used to be indecisive, but now i just don't know.)
(My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance.
Unknown)
TIA
Old 26-01-2003, 07:51 PM
RichToyBox

Here's another for you. The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse
gets the cheese.
--
RichToyBox

Old 26-01-2003, 11:47 PM
mad

i have collected the quotes as i have gone along. i've had this mac with
it's random sig tag program for about 4 yrs now and have collected for this
length of time. feel free to "steal" them from me. :-D
mad
--
Insanity is my only means of relaxation.

Old 26-01-2003, 11:47 PM
mad

yup, i have that one.
mad
--
Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one?

Old 27-01-2003, 04:50 AM
Dave Bell

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, mad wrote:

mad
--
Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one?

Well, if anyone had listened to a particular crac... I mean visionary
person, back about 20 years ago, it would be! Guy figured it would be the
best thing in the world to teach everyone to count and compute in
hexadecimal (base 16, for non geeks), rather than decimal (base 10). There
actually are advantages, but I kinda doubt it will ever catch on...

Dave

Old 27-01-2003, 05:04 AM
mad

--
If God had intended for man to use the metric system,
Jesus would have only had ten disciples.

mad

Old 27-01-2003, 05:43 AM
Gale Pearce

There actually is a collection - a couple of years or so ago, someone on
this group posted the link to them - I have tried to use "deja news" in the
past , but never got it to work for me - you can give that a try
Gale :~)

Old 27-01-2003, 12:10 PM
MLF

"Gale Pearce" wrote:
There actually is a collection - a couple of years or so ago, someone

on
this group posted the link to them - I have tried to use "deja news"

in the
past , but never got it to work for me - you can give that a try
Gale :~)

Here's a few From "Lazarus Long" and other folks....

From the Notebook of Lazarus Long:

Excerpts taken from the great novel Time Enough for Love written by
Robert A. Heinlien. If you like these lines, you can find this, and
other stories written by the author at your local library.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why.
Then do it. -- Lazarus Long in Time Enough for Love

butcher a hog, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, fight efficiently,
die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. -- Lazarus Long

Get a shot off fast. This upsets him long enough to let you make your
second shot perfect. -- Lazarus Long in Time Enough for Love

Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you; if you don't bet
you can't win. -- Lazarus Long in Time Enough for Love

A fake fortune teller can be tolerated. But an authentic soothsayer
should be shot on sight. Cassandra did not get half the kicking around
she deserved. -- Lazarus Long in Time Enough for Love

Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind, it may
offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without
hate, and quickly. -- Lazarus Long in Time Enough for Love

There is no conclusive evidence of life after death. But there is no
evidence of any sort against it. Soon enough you will know. So why fret
about it? -- Lazarus Long in Time Enough for Love

Cheops' Law Nothing ever gets built on schedule or within budget. --
Lazarus Long in Time Enough for Love

Money is a powerful aphrodisiac. But flowers work almost as well. --
Lazarus Long in Time Enough for Love

A brute kills for pleasure. A fool kills from hate. -- Lazarus Long in
Time Enough for Love

Delusions are often functional. A mother's opinions about her children's
beauty, intelligence, goodness, et cetera ad nauseum, keep her from
drowning them at birth. -- Lazarus Long in Time Enough for Love

It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better
still to be a live lion. And usually easier. -- Lazarus Long in Time
Enough for Love

One man's theology is another man's belly laugh. -- Lazarus Long in Time
Enough for Love

Little girls, like butterflies, need no excuse. -- Lazarus Long in Time
Enough for Love

A generation which ignores history has no past and no future. -- Lazarus
Long in Time Enough for Love

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. --
Lazarus Long in Time Enough for Love

An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications. -- Lazarus
Long in Time Enough for Love

A poet who reads his verse in public may have other nasty habits. --
Lazarus Long in Time Enough for Love

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in
private and wash your hands afterwards. -- Lazarus Long in Time Enough
for Love

When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets. -- Lazarus Long in
Time Enough for Love

You live and learn. Or you don't live long. -- Lazarus Long in Time
Enough for Love

A woman is not property, and husbands who think otherwise are living in
a dreamworld. -- Lazarus Long in Time Enough for Love

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity -- Lazarus Long in Time
Enough for Love

Always tell her she is beautiful, especially if she is not. -- Lazarus
Long in Time Enough for Love

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors, and
miss. -- Lazarus Long in Time Enough for Love

Never try to out stubborn a cat. -- Lazarus Long in Time Enough for Love

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills. -- Lazarus Long
in Time Enough for Love

The more you love, the more you can love and the more intensely you
love. Nor is there any limit on how many you can love. If a person had
time enough, he could love all of that majority who are decent and
just. -- Lazarus Long in Time Enough for Love

Yield to temptation; it may not pass your way again. -- Lazarus Long in
Time Enough for Love

A committee is a lifeform with six or more legs and no brain. -- Lazarus
Long in Time Enough for Love

"If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school
children would be wearing little electric chairs around their
necks instead of crosses."
--Lenny Bruce

"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough
to make us love one another."
--Jonathan Swift

"I still say a church steeple with a lightening rod on top shows
a lack of confidence."
--Doug McLeod

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians
are so unlike your Christ."
--Mohandas Gandhi

"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need
for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our
temple; the philosophy is kindness. "
-- Dalai Lama

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."
--Napoleon Bonaparte

"We are punished by our sins, not for them."
--Elbert Hubbard

"Without cultural sanction, most or all our religious beliefs and
rituals would fall into the domain of mental disturbance."
--John Schumaker

"Why should we take advice on sex from the pope? If he
knows anything about it, he shouldn't!"
--George Bernard Shaw

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god
possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--Stephen Roberts

Old 27-01-2003, 03:45 PM
Walter P. Schlomer

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 05:10:35 -0600, "MLF"
wrote:
Here's a few From "Lazarus Long" and other folks....
Thanks, enjoyed and copied!
Walter
If they keep lowering education standards and raising the price of
gasoline, there are going to be a lot of stupid people walking around.

Has Weigela 'French Lace' already bloomed? Melinda Tennielle Gardening 5 16-04-2003 04:32 AM
French name Pat London United Kingdom 1 15-03-2003 12:01 AM
Free translation of your website in french ! Roger Lhoest Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 06-02-2003 08:24 PM
Quotes was ( OT _ The French Are What?) Snooze Ponds 7 30-01-2003 11:45 PM
French intrusion Tumbleweed United Kingdom 4 19-12-2002 12:02 PM