Old 14-09-2004, 06:48 AM
jammer

Default Filtering out dirt and fish waste question,.building a small waterfall, fish dieing, help me?

I wish i were able to post captioned pictures but i am not.

Oh my, what a two weeks i have had. First let me say "hi!" to
everyone, i havent kept up with the group but no doubt will for a
while now again.

okie dokie...... I had the 70 gallon pond sitting in the ground with
only fish and no pump, filtration, etc. My fish were two years old and
big and happy...little clowns they were. Well, live and learn! I
pulled up a plant and i guess released the mulm into the water and my
3 fish went belly up. I have done at least a 75% water change since
then, but fish continue to die if left there but tend to recover if i
put them somewhere else. I have never had to worry about ph and stuff,
everyone was happy.

Here is what has changed:

I added about a 150 gallon raised preform that runs into the bottom
pond. I built a little waterfall to run into the new top pond and
dropped a 250gph pump into the bottom pond. This is when i notice
large dirt particles being circulated around. ('ll be cleaning it soon
but still...) I know i need a filter but what is the easiest/cheapest
way to go for my small set-up? A rubber maid tub with some sort of
material...... I can do a web search but what can i use that is fish
safe? I itch just thinking about insulation, anything easier to
handle/clean? And why are my fish ok in the top pond but not the
bottom?

On a sour note, My waterfall made the side of the pond tilt and most
of the water ran into the yard. Tomorrow i tear out the old and make
new. I DID have some fish in the bottom and so i had the pump running
in there but the fish got distressed so i removed 3 of the 4, turned
off the pump, and added all i had, a very very small bubbler. I dont
know if anyone will be alive tomorrow or not. The waterfall has to go
in a very small area between the pond and fence. I used rock and dirt
to make the slope, covered with liner hanging into the pond a bit, and
used flat rock to build 'er up. It was great until the whole thing
tilted...

I think i saw brown speckles on the gold heads of the distressed fish?
One that died last week looked like blood pooled in it's stomach.

?

Old 14-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Crashj

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:48:50 -0500, jammer wrote:
I wish i were able to post captioned pictures but i am not.

Sure you can. Go get a Yahoo account and then you can put hundreds of
megs of photos online to share. It helps if you put small size files
there as some are still using dialup connections.
Can't help with the fish problems, but someone will be along
momentarily.
(all our experts are helping other ponders. Your post is important to
us, so please continue to hold . . .)
--
Crashj

Old 14-09-2004, 04:27 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:48:50 -0500, jammer wrote:

I have never had to worry about ph and stuff,
everyone was happy.

Time to worry, you've seen all the answers of what kits to have on hand, so
I suggest you get them and let us know what the numbers are. )

In a nutshell, you added at top pond that pours into the old bottom pond,
fish are/were dying in the bottom pond, but were okay in the top pond?

How big a pump did you put in the lower pond?

How long did it pump till you had to turn it off?

You disturbed a plant, releasing mulm in the lower pond?

Was this before or after the pump was circulating? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 15-09-2004, 12:57 AM
RichToyBox

The water fall is acting as a skimmer for the top pond and all the dust,
dirt, debris that lands on the pond, plus any floating plant material all go
over the water fall to the small pond at the bottom. The pump will
recirculate some of this stuff, since it will be dispersed through the water
column. The bottom pond will fill with muck, mulm, fairly quickly and needs
to be cleaned regularly. When I started out, I had a similar setup to
yours, and then added a 1500 gallon liner pond to the mix, and then the
amount of mulm built up very quickly in the bottom pond.

You really need a solids handling pump that you can put on the bottom of the
small lower pond and then have the water circulated through some form of
filter that can be easily cleaned, or you will be cleaning the bottom pond
very often, or you will be building pockets of hydrogen sulfide gas that
will kill fish, if you want to have fish in the lower pond. If you don't
mind not having fish in the lower pond, then it can be a settling tank,
setting the pump intake near the surface, and as material builds up, turn
off the pump, use a shop vac or similar to clean the pond and then refill
the bottom pond and restart the system.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

Old 15-09-2004, 01:37 AM
jammer

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:27:38 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:48:50 -0500, jammer wrote:

I have never had to worry about ph and stuff,
everyone was happy.

Time to worry, you've seen all the answers of what kits to have on

hand, so
I suggest you get them and let us know what the numbers are. )

Yes, i guess so.....

In a nutshell, you added at top pond that pours into the old bottom

pond,
fish are/were dying in the bottom pond, but were okay in the top

pond?

YES

How big a pump did you put in the lower pond?

250gph

How long did it pump till you had to turn it off?

24 hrs or so

You disturbed a plant, releasing mulm in the lower pond?

yes

Was this before or after the pump was circulating?

before

~ jan

And the fish i added and tried to save, they died. I guess

cleaning the bottom pond is a must, for one thing.

Thanks, jan

Old 15-09-2004, 01:41 AM
jammer

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:57:18 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

[...]

*I was thinking about throwing in a dunk and saying to heck with fish,
but next spring i will have tadpoles again so i have to get this
right.

Solids handling pump........i will look that one up. Thanks

If i clean the bottom pond regularly, can i keep the 250 pondmaster
and waterfall? (will the fish live then)

I KNEW there had to be some explanation, thank you very much.

As always, juls/jammer

(i am sure i'll be back with more about this)

Old 15-09-2004, 04:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

jammer wrote:

Was this before or after the pump was circulating?

before

Okay, sounds like they got toxed-out with hydrogen sulfide.
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 15-09-2004, 07:45 AM
jammer

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:56:59 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

jammer wrote:

Was this before or after the pump was circulating?

before

Okay, sounds like they got toxed-out with hydrogen sulfide.
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

What can i use for filtering that is fish safe and less itchy than
insulation?

Old 15-09-2004, 08:48 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Okay, sounds like they got toxed-out with hydrogen sulfide.
~ jan

What can i use for filtering that is fish safe and less itchy than
insulation?

Out of the pond filter? Or around the pump?

Around an in-pond pump I only have mesh baskets to keep the big particles
out till they break down to little particulars, then I made an upflow
out-of-the-pond filter like the flower pot filters show at the bottom page
of *My Filter* on my website www.jjspond.us . This can be stuffed with
window screening, or in my case, because I had extra open cell foam, I used
pieces of it and then three 1" rounds.

I filter my 1,000 gallon lilypond with a 19 gallon size pot, 700 gph mag
drive in-pond. 7 large fantail goldfish with a few goldfish and koi babies.
Lots of plants (and once I got the pH below 8.4) it has been perfectly
clear. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~